sapphire radeon hd 4870=Massively huge space hog!

Yeah Poker, he actually might have to remove it. I have that EXACT SAME CASE and I have mine removed. My cooling is just fine. I like the look of it better with it off anyways haha. I actually think the side fans made the dang airflow screw-y anyways...it messed up the flow from front -> back by pushing and pulling air from the side. In my case (no pun intended :D), I had to remove the bar to make room for my aftermarket VF1000 for my 3870, so the little bars (and the housing even after removing the bars) were pushing on the copper heatsink fins when closing the case--that's a no no! Anywho, I only use one PCIe slot so I had room at the bottom of my case to remove all unnecessary slot covers and jimmy-rig an 80mm fan to exhaust the heat (flowing down from my vid card) out the back of my case..but this may not work in your case because I think the 4870 is a dual slot card, whereas mine is a single. However, being that yours is a dual slot means that it already exhausts the fan heat out the back out of one of the PCI expansion slots...sooooo you should be good.

Haha that was a long explanation.

Just remove the bar. You'll be fine :D

EDIT: Also, btw, thought I should add that the blue fan insert is removable so if you can get the black bar to fit without the blue fan enclosure (simply snaps out), then you can leave the bar in, it just won't snap into place, but the case will hold it there just fine.

Yeah dude I have the same exact case as well execpt it is the green version.. Same case just different color scheme... My Case I also have the same card as he does and mine fits no problem with the bar and fan in there.. The only thing i had to remove were the lil insert pieces on that part right next to the fan with the rubber stoppers on em... They are used as a way to hold the card in place i guess so its fine without em...

Yeah dude I have the same exact case as well execpt it is the green version.. Same case just different color scheme... My Case I also have the same card as he does and mine fits no problem with the bar and fan in there.. The only thing i had to remove were the lil insert pieces on that part right next to the fan with the rubber stoppers on em... They are used as a way to hold the card in place i guess so its fine without em...

Alrighty then! I guess he got his answer. I didn't know you had the same card haha otherwise I wouldn'tve gone into an intense explanation :D

Alrighty then! I guess he got his answer. I didn't know you had the same card haha otherwise I wouldn'tve gone into an intense explanation :D

LOL...Its all good either way you are right it does look better without it and I was actually thinking about taking mine off too but he really doesn't have to if he likes it.. I was thinking the same thing about the fan kinda screwing up the airflow in the case but everything in there runs so cool that I really didn't ever worry about it that much but I guess it wouldnt hurt to try it out and see if it makes a difference temperature wise tho..:D:D:D

LOL...Its all good either way you are right it does look better without it and I was actually thinking about taking mine off too but he really doesn't have to if he likes it.. I was thinking the same thing about the fan kinda screwing up the airflow in the case but everything in there runs so cool that I really didn't ever worry about it that much but I guess it wouldnt hurt to try it out and see if it makes a difference temperature wise tho..:D:D:D

Yeah...I don't know the exact cause of my drop in temps, but I know that when I added my extra 80mm (actually just used the one from the bar) underneath my vid card exhausting the heat blowing down from it (it blows down because it's a slim card with no fan enclosure), and when I added my extra 120mm to my Xiggy, and removed the bar, it dropped my temps about 3 or 4*C (as in MB temps....CPU temps obviously dropped due to the extra 120MM). But yeah, I think it screwed with the airflow a bit just because it introduced totally different "current" flows in the case.

Here's what it looks like.
dndqc1.jpg

The only fan you can't see is the 120mm in front pulling air in (which you know already Poker..haha)

Back
Top Bottom