Restricted access still domain user able to change shared printer property

Status
Not open for further replies.

zillah

In Runtime
[FONT=&quot]Hi [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Within Active Directory environment (win2003 server) I have got 11 domains users.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A new network printer Samsung CLX-6210FX installed on the server 2003 and shared [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On the server right click Samsung Printer > Properties > Security tab for the group “Everyone “ set as below [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://i46.tinypic.com/qobogo.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
qobogo.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Although “ Everyone “ group has been given permission for print only , why would a domain user still be able to change the color as in the snap shot (for a client PC) below[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://i48.tinypic.com/2nkkw94.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
2nkkw94.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks[/FONT]

How do you have the printer setup - is it setup as a printer server or just a regular printer?
Are you seeing this same issue with other printers in the office?

Add domain users to the groups on that printer and restrict them that way. Everybody I have found does not always work too well. Is this a networked printer I'm assuming?

Are the users also in the server and print operators?

I created a group called HEBxUsers, gave them the permissions I want which is print only and here are the results.

Untitled-1.jpg

As you can see they cant do anything, everything is greyed out

Untitled2.png

How do you have the printer setup - is it setup as a printer server or just a regular printer?
Are you seeing this same issue with other printers in the office?
I do not have other printer at the office right now, this is the only printer that I have got.

I believe it is a regular printer.

Could you please what do you mean by a printer server ?

You meant to say are the users members of the groups " Server Operators " and " Print Operators " ?

I will check that and let you know

Edit : No they are not

Everybody I have found does not always work too well. Is this a networked printer I'm assuming?
It is a networked printer
[FONT=&quot]A new network printer Samsung[/FONT]

I guess you are right about group "Everyone" I have to give that a try.

I have checked those two groups on the server as well on each client PC,,,domain users are not member of any these two groups.

I created a group called HEBxUsers, gave them the permissions I want which is print only and here are the results.
I have add the group " Domain Users " instead of the group " Eeveryone " still I am in the same issue .

Please snap shot for the printer security tab on the server

jkvpew.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/jkvpew.jpg

How are users connected to this printer? Do you add it using the IP as a local printer? If this is the case they will be able to manage it if they are local admins. If you have the server set up as a print server, then the group policy will be applied. The difference of the two is all in the setup on each local machine. Whether you choose to add the printer "locally" or a "network attached device"

How are users connected to this printer? Do you add it using the IP as a local printer?
You meant where it says " Local Printer attached to this computer " > Next > " Create New port " ,,,,,etc and in this scenario I have to install the software for the printer on each PC client
No i had not done it in the way above.

Thanks

If this is the case they will be able to manage it if they are local admins.
No they are not local admin , they are domain users only.

If you have the server set up as a print server, then the group policy will be applied.
Could you please elaborate this more and how it differs to my early post ?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom