Reinstalled OS - can't connect to PC

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hi all,

I've been at this for days and am lost to say the least.

My neighbor's HDD died about a week or two ago. I got her a new HDD and reinstalled the OS (Vista Home Premium 64-bit). I reinstalled all of the drivers I could find on the manufacturer's website although some did not install correctly (I cannot remember which ones at this point).

Everything seems to be working fine expect her Internet. When I plugged in an ethernet cable, I cannot connect. Her motherboard has a built in wifi-adapter and it can actually see the other networks, but it cannot connect to them. I've tried different ethernet cables and connecting to different networks with no luck.

I'd really appreciate anyone's help on this. I'm beyond puzzled. If you need specific error messages or system specs I can get that first thing in the morning. Thank you so much for any help you could provide!

If you installed the OS from the disk, you should have all the drives needed for this to work.

Go to network settings and make sure that you have a connection setup.

Also, open a dos primp and type: ipconfig /all, this should also show that you are getting an IP address from the router.

If you have an IP address, and still can not access the net, then you have other problems.

@Nokami - I was going to try and reinstall the drivers today.

@I am confused2 - I ran ipconfig /all and it said DHCP was not enabled and there was no Media Connected. I will Google how to enable DHCP now. Is there any additional steps I should take?

I should also mention - I have been unable to Activate Windows using the Product Key located on the side of the machine. I attributed this to the fact I couldn't connect to the Internet.

Since I still have a copy of all the files, I'm going to do a fresh install of Windows and try to connect to the internet before doing anything else.

Get the drivers from the individual component manufacturers' websites rather than the computer manufacturer's website. The component sites will have more up to date drivers.

glados tou have not answered the question if you did the reinstall from the OEM disk.

I have never had a problem installing basic drivers when reinstalling from a OEM disk.

I do a lot a reinstalls and after the install is complete, I am able to connect to wired either, wireless and phone.

After the install, I then connect to the net and do a windows update, BEFORE I DO ANY THING ELSE.

If you did the reinstall from OTHER then the OEM disk, then I believe you had a bad disk.

Find a OEM disk OR take it to a computer shop that can do a OEM install.

@Nokami - I was going to try and reinstall the drivers today.

@I am confused2 - I ran ipconfig /all and it said DHCP was not enabled and there was no Media Connected. I will Google how to enable DHCP now. Is there any additional steps I should take?

I should also mention - I have been unable to Activate Windows using the Product Key located on the side of the machine. I attributed this to the fact I couldn't connect to the Internet.

Which motherboard does the neighbor use ?
Click Start, Open All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and click System Information.
Also you can still activate windows by phone.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies everyone, I greatly appreciate them.

I reinstalled the OS and then put the Intel chipset, LAN, Wireless LAN, and Graphic drivers on (in that order) and rebooted after each install. The computer can now connect to the internet both wireless and with the ethernet cable.

I'm not sure what the issue was. I may have not rebooted after every driver installation, so perhaps that caused the problem? I have also not re-installed all of the drivers yet - just the ones mentioned above. Perhaps it's separate driver causing the issue?

Back
Top Bottom