Question about router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Jaeger

In Runtime
I have a Linksys WRT54GL router and I want to know if it is possible to set it up so that one of the computers connected to this router will have limited download speeds. The reason for wanting to do this is that when I'm playing games on my computer my ping goes crazy when someone is downloading something on the other computer. So is there a way?

Yeah easy, this should be in the QOS tab on the default firmware.

DD-WRT (If you are running the stock OS with your router, it's extremely pointless and I would recomend upgrading, DD-WRT is the easiest and best one IMO) you just click on the Applications and Gaming than QoS tab.

Ok well I changed the setting for port #1 (my computer) to High Priority and left all other ports at Low Priority and enabled Flow Control on all ports, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

what settings do I need so that I can play games with low ping while the other computer is downloading files?

It says I can also,

"specify priority for all traffic from a device on your network by giving the device a Device Name, specifying priority and entering its MAC address"

should I do that instead, or do that in addition to setting the port priority to high?

oh and one other thing, will I have to reset my router for the changes to take effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom