Question about Networking/routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjv19

Solid State Member
Hi right now i have 3 computers hooked up to a network using what i'm pretty sure as a cheap d-link router.. now i have a laptop in mind that i was going to buy to play games on like world of warcraft or sc2 when it comes out blah blah blah

i am guessing i will need a better router for the laptop so i have less lag so what kind of router and wireless card should i get for it so it runs with little or no lag??

also if i want all the computers to have an active internet connection so will i have to add them all into the new network or can i have two different ones?

sorry but i pretty much don't know anything about networking and only computer basics lol :confused:

You wont get much lag if your adding it to the current network, Unless someone is downloading large amounts of data using bittorrent. If all people do is surf the web or use email i doubt You would see much of a performance hit.

If you really do want to invest in a new wireless network then you would best going for the pre-n routers and wireless adaptors whether they offer a significant increase I don't know.

I presumed your original router was wireless and not wired?

so i should just add it to the network i already have ? thanks and yes it is a wireless network lol .. just one last thing how hard is it to upgrade your network card?

Personally Id just add it to your network already, depending on how much the other pc`s are used and what the person using them is doing. It also depends on how fast your net connection is, if its 4mb+ then it`ll be fine.

And if you mean on a laptop if its integrated don't try to remove it :) just disable it in network connections and buy a USB adaptor or PCMCIA those slots on your laptop where cards can go.

If your upgrading a network adaptor in a pc its not too bad: uninstall wireless adaptor drivers, turn pc off and unplug it, take side of case off, remove the wireless card , put new card in , install drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom