PPTP VPN: How to SEE computers in "My network places" instead of only acces using IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koenlek

Beta member
Hi everybody,

Last two days I have been trying to access a local windows network using VPN. I got it to work a bit using a XP Pro SP3 pc running Windows' built in VPN Server. I can connect to the VPN from an external pc and when I go to "My network places" I don't see any pc's inside the VPN. Though I can access them by typing \\ipaddress into the address bar. Where the ipaddress is of course the internal ip adress of the computer which's shares I want to access.

I read that I should configure a WINS-server to make it possible to see the servers in "My network places" or to use UNC (Universal Naming Convention i.e. \\Computername\Sharename). I don't have a Windows Server OS to do this, though i do have an Ubuntu Server with Samba. I configured Samba as a WINS server by adding the line "wins support = yes" to smb.conf (and restart Samba for being sure).
I configured the network adapter of the VPN server pc to use the Ubuntu server as WINS server (by editing tcp/ip properties, clicking advanced and add the IP adres of the Ubuntu server under the WINS tab). Though it still does not work.
In the current situation I still can access (when firewalls are shut down on VPN client and server because I haven't configured them yet) every computer in the network through typing the IP-address in the address bar, and i can access the VPN server and WINS server pcs both by entering their UNC address.

What I still can't is: 1. See the computers directly in "My network places". 2. Access the other computers using their UNC address.

Can anybody tell me what I should do or what I am doing wrong?
Are there more ports that I should open (only TCP 1723 is forwarded to the VPN server)?
I guess it has something to deal with all the WINS server stuff or traffic being blocked by the router.

Hopefully I can get this to work with some of you peoples help!

Thanks in advance,
Koen

My configuration:
VPN server: Windows XP Pro SP3 running native VPN server. I set the option to share to Local Area Network and I have set the network adapter from this pc to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP and to use the ubuntu server's IP-address as WINS-server.
VPN client: Windows Vista PC on another network. Connected using built-in client using all standard settings.
WINS server: Ubuntu 8.04 server edition running Samba 3.0.28a
Total Network: about 15 computers connected (via wireless, cables and switches) to one Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7170 Router using latest firmware.

Everything is tested with all three firewalls turned off (VPN server and client and WINS-server) (of course the routers firewall isn't turned off)
Both servers have a static IP.
The router redirects port 1723 TCP traffic to the VPN server's IP.

Re: PPTP VPN: How to SEE computers in "My network places" instead of only acces using

does the client have the wins server set?

can you ping via netbios name?

Computer browser over VPN

Computer Browsing over VPN
Computer browsing over VPN involves routers, multiple segments and multihomed servers. It is generally recommended that you implement WINS for name resolution and browsing support. Alternatively, it is possible to browse over VPN by using LMHOSTS files on all VPN clients.
You just created a VPN and established the connection. However, you cannot browse the Network Neighborhood or My Network Places.

Troubleshooting steps:

**follow link above for more detailed steps**

1. Ping the VPN server by IP.

2. Ping remote computers by IP.

3. Ping remote computers by NetBIOS Name, or FQDN.

4. Master browser Issues.

5. Permission or Cached Credentials issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom