Playstation 4

Seems like they do this every three hrs. Systems are more expensive and not as good game wise as the original playstation and n64. I'll stick to pc and save my money. Haven't bought a system nice the first 360 and paid 200 for it. Sold it after beating ffxii

Seems like they do this every three hrs. Systems are more expensive and not as good game wise as the original playstation and n64. I'll stick to pc and save my money. Haven't bought a system nice the first 360 and paid 200 for it. Sold it after beating ffxii

That's what I was just telling my buddies, pc versions of the games will ALWAYS look better. And for me to buy ps4 now, after what I have heard (rumors or not) it had better be pretty badass.

Since this post, and what I've read, I now don't care about next gen consoles. The only thing they do is level the playing field in terms of hardware, and they make SOOOO much money off these idiotic things: Monthly fee to have an account (xbox), PSN points, 3 months of no online gaming (thank you sony). It's just unrealistic to spend 500$ on a ****ing console and then have to spend hundreds more on titles every year.

I have a PC and STEAM and uTorrent. I'm allllll set.

Actually a PS4 is still worth while as a PC gamer.

Firstly, you are going to need a very very good PC to match initial visuals of PS4 games. PS4 games will be designed to make use of 8GB ram and will be designed for true 64Bit execution and full multithreaded optimisation, current PC games very rarely utilise more than about 2.5GB of RAM, and proper 64bit games are few and far between.

So you can expect some launch titles to be at the top of the field graphically. I'd also expect physics to be impressive, as proper coding designed to support 8 cores should enable some interesting things.

Apart from that, features such as the integrated hardware video compression chip is something PC's dont have. If you want to record at 720P, 1080P you are going to be useing quite a lot of CPU cycles. Not a problem for PS4. And you don't need to worry about file support and conversion either. So in that sense, the PS4 is a better device to share your gaming experience. The ability to jump into your friends game and take over to help them out, or just spectate what other people are doing is pretty cool.

And that is only the tip of the iceberg, expect a lot more in the way of OS features to be revealed at E3.

So there are undoubtedly some things PS4 will be better at. I personally expect atleast some of the launch titles to look slightly superior to what we're used to on top PC games. Maybe I will be wrong, who knows. If they are not superior graphically, level design and what you can do in the world may well be better due to the RAM they get to play with.

But it won't last long (if at all), PC will probably be on top in terms of game quality within 12 to 24months. It'll probably take a while longer for integrated hardware video compression chips to be embedded into motherboards but expect it to happen.

I don't expect launch titles on either platform to be as good as you think. Halo 3 was better visually than Halo 2, but the Reach engine looks even better. It usually takes about a year worth of hands on development for devs to actually start getting the potential of the console hardware.

As soon as Unreal Engine 4 titles start releasing for PC which should be soon we will start seeing way better visuals for PC.

EA/Dice just needs to get over Frostbite 2 success and continue to develop cutting edge visuals to stay on level. That along with Cryengine 3 and UE4 will keep PC ahead.

Oh yea, not to mention PC is lead platform now due to the X86 architecture of the next gen consoles. Consoles getting the ports mean we get the better experience.

I guess they may not look as good as a PC of equal or higher spec to mine. But I really do expect to see new types of gameplay and levels. Unfortunately, a large amount of the population are on 32bit with less than 8GB of RAM. That means it's up to developers to decide if they want to take advantage of lots of ram and 64bit in terms of graphics. Hence we have scalable graphics options in PCs.

However, they can't make scalable level design and gameplay choices. The levels and gameplay have to be made to work on systems that meet the minimum requirements, which is always going to be 2GB ram and 32Bit. You can't do anything else, because most of the market wouldn't be able to play the game if you did.

With PS4, developers can design games with the guarantee that everyone has 64Bit OS with the same CPU, GPU, and importantly 8GB of super fast ram. Even if it is shared, thats still a helluva lot. The level design and gameplay choices that can be made when you can guarantee such things should in theory be better than what we have access too on PC.

Whether that is the case remains to be seen. But I certainly hope so.

I don't expect launch titles on either platform to be as good as you think. Halo 3 was better visually than Halo 2, but the Reach engine looks even better. It usually takes about a year worth of hands on development for devs to actually start getting the potential of the console hardware.

As soon as Unreal Engine 4 titles start releasing for PC which should be soon we will start seeing way better visuals for PC.

EA/Dice just needs to get over Frostbite 2 success and continue to develop cutting edge visuals to stay on level. That along with Cryengine 3 and UE4 will keep PC ahead.

Oh yea, not to mention PC is lead platform now due to the X86 architecture of the next gen consoles. Consoles getting the ports mean we get the better experience.

Though it is pretty much a PC, it's not going to take them as long as it did take them to get used to the 360 or PS3. A year is a pretty good estimate as you stated. Took PS3 devs 5x that.

Quite possible Sony deliberately restrict performance at the start. They did something similar with the PS3. With the continual improvement with regards to the O/S footprint being notable.

Case and point. PS4 already holds back graphical capabilities compared to a PC running current hardware.

See Unreal Engine 4 on PlayStation 4 • Articles • Eurogamer.net

Even though it's just shading it still proves that PC will still be more graphically capable than the consoles.

Probably right about graphics. Difference is all PS4 games will pretty much uni formally look excellent. We are privy to only 5 or 10 excellent looking non-ports on PC.

Last edited:
You're right, but as soon as these consoles are laid out new games will start becoming DX11 and 64bit only. BF3 started this trend with DX10/11 only and Crysis 3 went further to DX11 only. I mean honestly, if you have a machine so old it has 2GB on it you need to upgrade or ditch your ancient gaming PC. I think with the extra graphic demand that large amount of 8GB will turn very small quickly.

Back
Top Bottom