Pci Sata Raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

highrisk

Baseband Member
I recently purchased two additional SATA HDD's to add to my RAID array, already consisting of two 120GB SATA HDD's.

My motherboard only has two built-in SATA RAID channels, so I had to purcahse a PCI SATA RAID controller with 4 channels.

Then, I got to thinking about the PCI bandwidth speed.
Would that lower the speed of my disks, from taking them from two on my motherboard, to four on a PCI SATA RAID controller - since it's going over PCI?

No, it wont. The speed limit of PCI is a lot higher than SATA (pci - 132MBps to 1GBps, SATA - 150 MBps) and the new pci will be either 512 MBps or 1GBps. Since sats is capped at 150 (unless it is SATA 2, which I dont know the speed of) and pci is capped at 1GBps, you shouldnt see any problem.

Not sure. You can try SiS Sandra but I'm not sure if that will tell you. i dont know where to find it either, I remember I found it by accident a long time ago.

Cause the Windows Instalation took longer to load with 4 drives in RAID 0 throgh PCI RAID, than 2 drives in RAID 0 through Motherboard RAID. That's why I was wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom