PC slow with and without VPN

fallenapples

In Runtime
I recently set up a VPN client called Buffered. Its speeds are different no more than 50mb, which is fine for a VPN, but when I close the client my speeds are slow and should be at 200mb, it hits 100mb and varies. I did not configure anything on my networks settings, however I noticed my IP address is 162.xxx rather than its normal 192.xxx This happens on Windows and my Mac. Any thoughts.

Just to clarify somethings, by 50/100/200mb, do you mean MBps, or mbps? The different in IP addressing you are seeing is completely normal. 192.x.x.x is your own private network, when you use a VPN, you are connecting to a different network (hence you using their IP addressing scheme).

If you are paying for 200mbps and are only getting 100mbps, I would start investigating your home network, Connect your machine directly to the modem/router and then run a speed test. If you are still getting 100mbps, then you need to take it up with your ISP, if you see the 200mbps, then start adding devices back to your network and determine which one is causing the slowdown.

The VPN client probably has background processes running, closing the client I would guess does not close the session.

Try going into the task manager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete), go into the processes tab, and see if you can find a process related to the VPN software, end the process, retest the internet speed.

Back
Top Bottom