Operating System needing a purpose

i learnt assembly from a booklet my parents used at collage, when 16 bit processors were new and assembly was still commonly used! (1986 i think...)
Its actually a really good booklet on 16 bit assembler, better than anything i could find on the inter web.
I have an IBM assembly book that I used in my assembly course a couple of years ago (was for the IBM 8086 architecture as well, I believe). I still have it; that and a bunch of notes from the class. The programs we did were fairly easy (mostly calculations and such), but still introduced me to assembly decently.

indeed, almost impossible sort of hard...

Kinda what I was getting at lol.

Okay just a quick question. What kind of PL would you use to program a GUI?

PL= Programming Language

C++ ?? Maybe not. I am just guessing.

C++ is C with OO. No difference aside from that.

You would use a system as a base, most commonly X11 now, to develop a GUI. C# and others provide tools to create GUIs as well, though many are limited to one platform.

Milk_The_Elephn;1991530t said:
i learnt assembly from a booklet my parents used at collage, when 16 bit processors were new and assembly was still commonly used! (1986 i think...)
wait cant be 1986...because that when my parents were born ^.^

C++ is C with OO. No difference aside from that.
pretty sure C++ requires a quite advanced OS underneath it to be much good for writing advanced stuff for an OS...does that make sense?

Unless you're under 8 years old I doubt your parents were born in 1986 ;).

C++ can be used to write an OS and has been used to do so more than any other language. You would develop the base of the OS on another first, and once the core was built out, move onto building the features/tools etc.

Thanks Baez. I am trying to make what some would call a knowledge base. It's meant to tell me what each programming language is for and what it is commonly used for. I have 3 PL's so far and I am expanding that list when I have a spare second. :p

Unless you're under 8 years old I doubt your parents were born in 1986 ;).

C++ can be used to write an OS and has been used to do so more than any other language. You would develop the base of the OS on another first, and once the core was built out, move onto building the features/tools etc.
Windows is programmed mainly in C :).

Okay just a quick question. What kind of PL would you use to program a GUI?

PL= Programming Language

C++ ?? Maybe not. I am just guessing.

IMO, C++ is hard for a GUI... it's a bit more cross-platform, but a bit difficult.

Java or C# IMO are the easiest for GUI. Java is pretty cross-platform, but C# would be for Windows only.

Back
Top Bottom