Networking Mac & PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADZ

Fully Optimized
I am looking to network my Mac (os 9.2) to my XP machine. The Mac is using an airport to a linksys router and the PC has a linksys wireless card. Is it even humanly possible to be able to browse eachothers shard drives?

I have been here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106658

but it still confuzzles me. Assistance needed!

Cheers!!!

Yeah there is, but OS9 kind of sucks in this department. Just create a virtual wireless network and lock it with access for registered users only. Then when the PC tries to connect to the mac (card to card, the base station means nothing here) it should prompt for a username and password to log onto the VPN (virtual private network). Use your regular login and password (admin account on the mac) and youre ready to go.

But I must ask, what real reason do you have to network two different platforms wirelessly when a CD-R could tranfer data expoentially quicker and more securely?

The iMac doesnt have a CD-R and I would just like to learn how to do it. thank you however for your help!

I would simply upgrade the thing to OS X.2 and then all your problems are solved. :laughing:

Of course, there is the problem that the iMac probably would not be able to run fast at all under that OS...maybe just listen to G5orbust.

So how exactly do i go about doing the above steps? I'm new to the whole Mac thang :D

Having an OS 9 device is probably not starting you off with a good impression. It's like hearing how great Windows is and starting to use a Win98 machine. Anyhow, which steps? Upgrading or the networking thing?

If it is upgrading, then tell me what your specs are first. Chances are your iMac may have a bit of trouble handling OS X. Remember...OS X is supposed to function fine on a network with Windows Machines. Natively.

Since I dont have an OS9 system handy, I cant exactly help you out by giving specific instructions, but if your menu bar (upper bar) has a little wave bar that looks like figure one (the orange waves on the card) at the bottom, then click on it and it will have an option to create a network. Create the network (designate network name and password) and have your pc log onto it. As I didnt have wireless when i used pre OSX systems, I cant exactly tell you how to get into your files from that stage, but just dig around. The OS will tell you if youre not allowed to access something.

Figure 1:
airportcard2.jpg

Figure 2: OS9 airport config utility
OS9-Airport-bulldog.jpg

Figure 3: Airport network log on prompt
airport_os9_network_name.jpg

so i suppose wat its doing is sort of like the equivelant of a crossover cable, only wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom