Need help with win7

We have done it 1,000's of times at our store. Sorry you disbelieve. Microsoft will allow you to re-activate on a new motherboard. Circumstances such as an act of God (Electrical strike) do not warrant pruchasing another copy of windows. I would not post something that wasn't true or that I have not done myself...

Wholesale Computer Outlet, LLC - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras and More! Home page

Actually in this case its true. I've also done it many times. If you replace hardware (IE a motherboard or hard drive) you can use the same product key. If you're lucky you can get it to activate online, if not you just call them and they'll ask why and when you said hardware change, they'll give you a code to use.

Back on topic, what the OP wants to do isn't possible.

We have done it 1,000's of times at our store. Sorry you disbelieve. Microsoft will allow you to re-activate on a new motherboard. Circumstances such as an act of God (Electrical strike) do not warrant pruchasing another copy of windows. I would not post something that wasn't true or that I have not done myself...

REMOVED LINK

OK, here is where I believe there may be a misunderstanding. I'll try to make myself clear.

I have on numerous occasions, built a new machine, with completely different hardware, using a different motherboard, and was able to use the same copy of Win7. Nothing difficult, or illegal about it. AS LONG AS THAT PRODUCT CODE IS ONLY USED ON ONE COMPUTER AT A TIME.

The OP says he doesn't want to spend any money for another copy of Win7 for a new computer he just built. He wants to use the same copy of Win7 that he has on his original machine. That's what I am saying is illegal. Microsoft is not going to activate the same product code on two different machines at the same time. If that were true, I could build a machine for myself, and one for my next door neighbor, and just buy one copy of Win7 for both computers. Am I clear now?

Sorry, I have to disagree.

Even if you used the same, identical motherboard on another machine. You'd never get through on-line, or telephone activation, with the other hardware variances. It would be obvious that the same Product Code was being used on two computers.

Not only that, even if were possible, it is still illegal to do that. Since you are in the computer hardware business, I'm a little surprised.
You will be quite surprised on how many businesses actually install software by imaging it and then activating it with relevant licence.

Hameister said:
OK, here is where I believe there may be a misunderstanding. I'll try to make myself clear.

I have on numerous occasions, built a new machine, with completely different hardware, using a different motherboard, and was able to use the same copy of Win7. Nothing difficult, or illegal about it. AS LONG AS THAT PRODUCT CODE IS ONLY USED ON ONE COMPUTER AT A TIME.

The OP says he doesn't want to spend any money for another copy of Win7 for a new computer he just built. He wants to use the same copy of Win7 that he has on his original machine. That's what I am saying is illegal. Microsoft is not going to activate the same product code on two different machines at the same time. If that were true, I could build a machine for myself, and one for my next door neighbor, and just buy one copy of Win7 for both computers. Am I clear now?

In this case, I agree with you. You can move a hard drive from one machine to another with the same chipset, different board. The license can only be on one machine. You can image and change the key before activating. As a builder, we image after creating a load and than change it to the correct key, then activate before the end user receives the machine. I was not encouraging piracy. I assumed the old Dell was no longer being used. If its not and you just want the same information on both machines, just buy an additional license and activate it. Technically, any other programs would either have to have a multi user license or require repurchase. I was thinking from the perspective of a needed repair where a customer did not want to lose information or re-install everything.

Back
Top Bottom