My PC destroying our Verizon FIOS bandwidth somehow, reformatted

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
Hey folks. I first noticed this when I was playing a game. I started getting some serious lag, and after some investigating, noticed it was only when my PC was off. We have 3 other computers in the house. I do a speedtest.net test when my computers off, we get 20 mb/s. When my PC is on, we get about 3-5 mb/s. I did a test using a program called TCPView. I noticed some things going on with UDP ports(Something was being transferred at around 1-2mb per second), but instead of screwing around with it I just backed up my PC and reformatted. One of the first things I did was get my internet back (after the chipset drivers, etc) and went to speedtest.net... back down to 5 mb/s. I went to use TCPView and the Win7 built in feature Performance Monitor (basically does the same thing) I don't see anything going on, no data being transferred... so the issue according to that is gone. This is slowing down our network pretty bad, whatever it is. Were getting about a quarter of our speed when my computers on. I blocked UPD ports 1900 and 5000, but that's about it. Can anyone think of anything?

Are you hardwired or over wireless? If you're hardwired, try a different port on your router. It's possible that a port is bad.

Tried updating wireless drivers or even trying a different wifi adapter?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

No other wifi adapters in the house. And I just downloaded the latest drivers. Same problem. Our speed dropped down to about .5 mb earlier today, haha. I've been unemployed else I'd just go out and buy another wifi adapter.

Can you try hard-wiring it temporarily to see if it still happens? It at least starts the process of elimination.

Back
Top Bottom