My host's system died, need new host, many questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

White_Wolf

Baseband Member
I attempted to log onto my forum only to find that it's down. After 24 hours I contacted my host. He tells me that the whole thing is down and that this is due to a super massive DOS attack that caused the Kernel to panic, and the system crashed, and everything is ruined. All data is lost etc.

He claims this to be the result of a DOS attack; I suspect he was running poor server equipment and over loading the system.

Here are some of the things he said to me
the nas drive backup device was a dud.
backed up fine, but had a convient fault so any recover anything from it (do you believe in coincidences ??).

In the past 5 or so months that he's been hosting my site, I've been less than impressed. Often the server would become slow, and about a dozen times the sight would be down for a handful of hours.

So do you guys think this all stemmed from a DOS attack or do you think this is from straining the server/poor maintenance?

At any rate, there is a chance that he won't renew his service and that he might just throw in the towel.

This means I need a new host, and I am looking for one even before he makes up his mind whether or not he is going to continue with his hosting business.

I make frequent database backups from within my forum (SMF). I've never done a database re-install from a backup, and so I was wondering if I go with a new host, will my old database data work on a new host/server as long as the domain name remains the same? Or does this mean my forum is dead and buried?

Also, if I have to go with a new host, I don't want to rely on a third party host (I don't like their rules, and they don't like my content), I want to host myself. How do I do that? How much does this cost?

As long as you have the database tables intact, your forums will be fine.

I'm not sure what you mean by "third part host". Are you talking about running a Virtual Dedicated Server, or a Dedicated Server? Those can be pricey and not really worth it to run a small website.

Thank you for the reply CrazyD.
By "third party host" I meant relying on a company to host me; as opposed to hosting myself.

In order to host myself I'd have to have a static IP address, an ISP that allows VPN's, and hope no more than 10 people at a time view my site. That is too slow and I need higher bandwidth. A T1 line, which is like over a $1000 a month is out of the question.

I guess the only way I can ever be my own host is to setup a series of servers, subscribe to a T3 provider, begin advertising myself as a web hoster, and hope I can get enough customers to bite in time to pay the $7000 a month T3 service charges.

Takes money to make money LOL.

So, self hosting isn't an option at all. I know that now.

I've decided to go with a Virtual Dedicated Server from RisingNet.
The reason for that is because I run FlashChat from within my forum, and have a ChatBot in the room. This type of IRC activity is forbidden on most shared server hosts.

I've never used an Operation System like Linux, or FreeBSD. I hope I will be able to figure out how to work this stuff from my WinXP Desktop.

You don't have to own a datacenter to run a hosting company. ;)

You can rent dedicated servers and resell, or buy reselling packages.

I don't think your original host seemed to bothered about this "DoS" attack..
I'd go with a new host.
If your old host was a friend on your buddy list, don't go for those kind of people.
Do it professionally, through a website, preferabbly a website with feedback.

If they don't provide good feedback on there site, use our good friend google, **** even if they do provide feed back still do a good serch before paying money for a service as they can cherry pick the good feed back.

For hosting, I would look at co-location services. You'll still probably fall under their "approved content" to some extent.

As far as the DOS attack, there is no way that a DOS attack could destroy an entire hard drive, unless it somehow pushed it to it's max and the drive itself broke. All a DOS attack does is lock up the processor with requests for invalid pages on a site. Unplugging the network cable and a simple reboot will fix the issue.

My guess is you were taken by a bit of fraud on your host's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom