Multiple error messages at startup

Johnaldo

Baseband Member
Hi,

When I turned on my laptop I got about 10 error messages, such as ...

• Monitor.exe Application Error
  • iTunes Helper.exe Application Error
  • TAANotif.exe Application Error
  • hpqtra08.exe Application Error
  • HP Digital Imaging monitor has stopped working
  • Event Monitor User Notification tool has stopped working
  • iTunes Helper has stopped working
  • Registry Monitor has stopped working
  • AVG Diagnostics has stopped working
  • Adobe Flashplayer 13.0 r) has stopped working
  • Startup Error ..java.lang.classnotfoundException.org blah, blah......with about 8 supplementary messages
The real bug-bear is Flash Player as this means that numerous web-sites won't run when I'm trying to find a solution. I've tried up-grading to v13, then v12, then v11 ... all without success.

I ran AVG and also rebooted in safe mode - no difference.

I also ran Trojan Killer which found 3 trojans. As there were in unused folders I deleted them.

The computer is running - after a fashion! - but it looks wrong in many areas (lots of fonts changed in Excel, Word and Outlook) and has trouble with pics and videos.
Laptop is Acer Aspire 5720 with Vista Home Premium.

Hoping for some help, Aldo.

JoeC,
I'm afraid the Eset link came up with Sorry, this page is only available to residents of North America .... but I'm in the UK.
John

How many programs have you got installed on the laptop? Maybe it would be easier to backup all the data and reinstall the OS? (You'll still need to reinstall all the software you have.)

How many programs have you got installed on the laptop? Maybe it would be easier to backup all the data and reinstall the OS? (You'll still need to reinstall all the software you have.)

May be "easier" but you don't learn anything in the process if you just wipe the OS and start over.

I dislike when techs instantly go for the reimage option rather than try to troubleshoot an issue - makes them look lazy, IMO.

May be "easier" but you don't learn anything in the process if you just wipe the OS and start over.

I dislike when techs instantly go for the reimage option rather than try to troubleshoot an issue - makes them look lazy, IMO.
As for me, it's better to prevent a PC from infecting than trying to find out "what was it". Do you remember what have you been doing before you've got that problem? Downloading or installing something? If you knew it, it would be much easier to find the origin of the problem.

Learning what the issue was is the best preventive measure because you won't do it again*. In this guy's case it could be anything. Normally I would go for the wipe option too, but we don't have enough information to suggest this is possible. The next best thing to do is offer advice that any normal person would be capable of doing like doing boot scans, Malwarebytes, ect.

*Most people don't care and will do it anyways then come back complaining they have another virus.

As for me, it's better to prevent a PC from infecting than trying to find out "what was it". Do you remember what have you been doing before you've got that problem? Downloading or installing something? If you knew it, it would be much easier to find the origin of the problem.

It's easy to find problems if you develop good troubleshooting skills as well :p. Just wiping a PC and starting over doesn't really do much for developing said skills. It should always be a last resort.

That's just my opinion, anyway :p.

Back
Top Bottom