msconfig can't be found!

Battal Gazi

In Runtime
HEllo. My computer is a desktop, winxp home edition service pack 3

I have problems. I have 1.5 gb ram but i dont know what the problem is. I made virus scans and deleted all files.

For a long time, i think i have registry errors.

Start-run- msconfig, when i try to reach, it says it cant find it.

And while starting windows, before loading windows icon, it writes, ".exe not found,skipping check" something like that.

I made registry clean and defrag with advanced system care. MAlware antimalware and spybot and avg were the programs for security check.

How can i fix my windows without formatting? I know it is very old but i have to use that computer.

Now i am making ctrl alt del and going into processes, there are a lot of processes, at least 20.

If you have your XP disc, first thing I would try doing is opening command prompt, and typing in this:
sfc /scannow
If problems are found, it will need the XP disc to replace the corrupted files.

You could try manually browsing to C:\Windows\system32 and see if you can find msconfig.exe there.

If you have your XP disc, first thing I would try doing is opening command prompt, and typing in this:
sfc /scannow
If problems are found, it will need the XP disc to replace the corrupted files.

You could try manually browsing to C:\Windows\system32 and see if you can find msconfig.exe there.

No, i coudln not find msconfg there.

When i try to scf /scannow, it wants xp disc, i put my original windows xp home edition sp 2 but it wants xp professional (not home edition) sp3 . So it cant go on?

Most likely msconfig is on your computer but the PATH environment variable doesn't include the folder it's in.

Msconfig.exe should be found in the \Windows\System32 folder. Check to see if it is there, if so, you could open a command prompt and type: "cd\Windows\system32" (no quotes) ENTER then run msconfig from there.

To check your PATH variable, open a command prompt and type: "path" (no quotes) ENTER. Look thru the text displayed and see if somewhere in the text you find ";C:\Windows\System32;" (no quotes), if not then you need to fix that. Post back and we will help you fix your PATH environment variable.

Last edited:
No, i coudln not find msconfg there.

When i try to scf /scannow, it wants xp disc, i put my original windows xp home edition sp 2 but it wants xp professional (not home edition) sp3 . So it cant go on?

Can you run System Restore back to a previous date when it was working?

If not, then I would say try doing a repair install:
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Make sure you make a backup of your data that you consider important BEFORE doing the repair install, just in case something goes wrong and you need to reinstall Windows.

Most likely msconfig is on your computer but the PATH environment variable doesn't include the folder it's in.

Msconfig.exe should be found in the \Windows\System32 folder. Check to see if it is there, if so, you could open a command prompt and type: "cd\Windows\system32" (no quotes) ENTER then run msconfig from there.

To check your PATH variable, open a command prompt and type: "path" (no quotes) ENTER. Look thru the text displayed and see if somewhere in the text you find ";C:\Windows\System32;" (no quotes), if not then you need to fix that. Post back and we will help you fix your PATH environment variable.

It doesn't sound like a path issue. It sounds more like a corruption issue.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

I could find here only. I dont know why there is.

Can you run System Restore back to a previous date when it was working?

If not, then I would say try doing a repair install:
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Make sure you make a backup of your data that you consider important BEFORE doing the repair install, just in case something goes wrong and you need to reinstall Windows.

It doesn't sound like a path issue. It sounds more like a corruption issue.

I dont know, i think there are corrpuıtions in my xp registry but i dont know how to fix. I tried repair but it ended in %55 and i couldnot open for hours because of deleted system 32 files. But this time i will try again.

Last edited:
Hey, i am fighting for hours to get back. I am on my brothers's now.

My windows has problems.

Let me tell what i do. I put xp cd and made repair without any problems. I had made this 2-3 weeks ago and same problem happened, it couldnot started because system32 files were deleted! I dont understand how this can be by repairing with original cd.

SO i made 1-2 times again repair but result was same so i had documents from microsoft support, it was about copying the system 32 files from last system restore point. 2-3 weeks ago, i did this in repair console and it worked but now it did not workk because when i try to open now, after logging ino my user, it says in TUrkish

"windows encountered a problem, your software is not licenced. Do you want to activate?"

I choose yes or no but still same thing happens, a light blue screen appears and none of commands work ctrl alt delete, alt f4 etc. It stucks in that screen.

What can i do now?

I put yesterday's system32 files and there is no problem about that. It asks me to activate either in safe mode or normal mode.

Please help.

Back
Top Bottom