Micing a Bass amp for Recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnOfDoom

Daemon Poster
Hey Tech forums me and a friend of mine are starting to record our music a little and we wanted to get into doing something a little more complex than just putting a digital camera next to the speaker to record. SO i've found my recording mic which is a Shure SM57 and i was browsing around for my friends who is playing bass, i found this Buy AKG Perception 220 Condenser Microphone online at Musician's Friend

I noticed it has a 20hz - 20khz range so is that good for microphones?

Thanks for the help guys =D

20hz is pretty low so I would think that would be plenty low for a bass guitar. But wait for somebody more knowledgable to answer this.

Thats a condenser mic.

How are you recording?

If you wanna do things right, condenser is the first step. Next youre gonna need a sound interface that can output 48V phantom power. And a nice daw to do all the tracking.

I used a similar AKG for recording vocals, and theyre really nice for the price.

Thats a condenser mic.

How are you recording?

If you wanna do things right, condenser is the first step. Next youre gonna need a sound interface that can output 48V phantom power. And a nice daw to do all the tracking.

I used a similar AKG for recording vocals, and theyre really nice for the price.

okay what i got goin on is im going to be using a program called Riffworks Sonoma Wire Works with a lightsnake USB to mic cable LightSnake USB Microphone Cable and more Consumer Headphones at GuitarCenter.com. then im going to be plugging up the mic depending on what im suggested and putting that in a stand and putting it about 3/8" off of the speaker mesh on a bass amp.

BTW feel totally free to suggest better software / better methods but i'd like to keep it kinda cheap.

okay what i got goin on is im going to be using a program called Riffworks Sonoma Wire Works with a lightsnake USB to mic cable LightSnake USB Microphone Cable and more Consumer Headphones at GuitarCenter.com. then im going to be plugging up the mic depending on what im suggested and putting that in a stand and putting it about 3/8" off of the speaker mesh on a bass amp.

BTW feel totally free to suggest better software / better methods but i'd like to keep it kinda cheap.

Recording + cheap = big no no.

Youll get crappy sound.

You need a condenser mic, and a proper sound interface. Condeser mics will not work that way, because they need 48V phantom power.

That program sucks too, you want a real daw like sonar, cubase, or nuendo.

You the mic, a mic stand, xlr - xlr cable, and a sound interface.

Recording + cheap = big no no.

Youll get crappy sound.

You need a condenser mic, and a proper sound interface. Condeser mics will not work that way, because they need 48V phantom power.

That program sucks too, you want a real daw like sonar, cubase, or nuendo.

You the mic, a mic stand, xlr - xlr cable, and a sound interface.

okay about the sound interface what would you recommend? I'd like to make my purchases with Musician's Friend - Buy musical instruments, music gear, musical equipment online

I found some SONAR programs by cakewalk.. what one should i be looking at? Musician's Friend - Search Results

Thanks for the help Rican =D

Finally a thread that I can show my colors!!!

*whips out cape*

OK!! You're on the right track, but as Rican said, cheap + recording = no sound... just noise. You need at least a decent interface for what you want to do. You already have an industry-standard mic... the SM-57 is one of my favorite mic's. $3k mics don't compare to the 57. No, its not a preferred mic for bass amps, but it'll definitely do the job. As always, if you know how to PROPERLY mic a speaker cab, any microphone will sound good without any EQ whatsoever.

The problem I'm gonna have is that I need some kind of budget. What are you willing to spend? There are so many options for you here, that I simply can't even start to give you some options. As for software, you really don't have to worry about it because there are SO many options that will really work fine. Even then, most of the interfaces that are sold today will come with some sort of recording software for free.

Like I said, the SM-57 is one of the favorite mics in the industry. You may not even need to get anything other than that, depending on what you are recording. You may need to invest in a larger diaphragm condenser mic, but again, it depends on what you are going to be doing and what kind of music you are playing.

Gimmie some details and we can hook you up.

Finally a thread that I can show my colors!!!

*whips out cape*

OK!! You're on the right track, but as Rican said, cheap + recording = no sound... just noise. You need at least a decent interface for what you want to do. You already have an industry-standard mic... the SM-57 is one of my favorite mic's. $3k mics don't compare to the 57. No, its not a preferred mic for bass amps, but it'll definitely do the job. As always, if you know how to PROPERLY mic a speaker cab, any microphone will sound good without any EQ whatsoever.

The problem I'm gonna have is that I need some kind of budget. What are you willing to spend? There are so many options for you here, that I simply can't even start to give you some options. As for software, you really don't have to worry about it because there are SO many options that will really work fine. Even then, most of the interfaces that are sold today will come with some sort of recording software for free.

Like I said, the SM-57 is one of the favorite mics in the industry. You may not even need to get anything other than that, depending on what you are recording. You may need to invest in a larger diaphragm condenser mic, but again, it depends on what you are going to be doing and what kind of music you are playing.

Gimmie some details and we can hook you up.

First of all SWEET MAN

and im looking to spend within the range of 200-250 on other stuff (neither of the mics for me or him is included in that estimate im definatly getting those) okay the situation with me is im an electric guitar player and my friend is a bass player. we've decided we wana record. so i kinda wana get some hardware/software that'll record both me and him well separately of course then mix em. I do realize the mic for him is gona have to change since he plays bass. XLR cables are not a problem at all i can get those for free as my uncle has loads because he's a DJ.

we're also doing an acoustical project and will the SM 57 record acoustic guitar and acoustic bass well? or is it gona have to be 2 separate mics again?

Just leme know what else you need to know and i'll post it on up

Thank you SO MUCH crysalis.

Sorry for the delay in reply... been busy!

OK... $250 is a good start if you aren't including the cost of the mic. The mic you chose is a good option for overall recording... its good for a general recording. However, you stated you may want to do some acoustical work (acoustic guitars?). You will probably want to go with a smaller diaphragm mic for the acoustics. I've never heard the perception series, so I can't say for sure, but in a lot of cases, large diaphragm mics don't recreate acoustic guitars well enough by themselves. It's a great mic to start off with, though you may want to look around for a smaller diaphragm mic later on.

You also may want to consider this:

Buy MXL MXL 990/993 Studio Package online at Musician's Friend

MXL is an "off-shoot" of Marshall and AKG. Same internals, different price. I have a few of MXL's mics myself and I enjoy using them. This would kill two birds with one stone.

My favorite thing to do with acoustic guitars is 3-4 microphones depending on the room. Depending on the room, and mics available, my most used setup would be to have a stereo pair (or a single mic in figure 8 polar pattern) set up in the room for room sounds (reverb, echoes, fret reverb, and other room artifacts), a small-diaphragm condenser mic aimed at the fret board (for fret noises and fingering) about a foot away and depending on the guitar, a large or small mic aimed at the body 3-4 feet away. Beautiful. Do be careful for phase issues... they can make or break an acoustic guitar recording. Another favorite is a single small-diaphragm mic. Gorgeous.

Bass cab's. Unless you REALLY REALLY need to, don't do mic them. Bass cabinets tend to be very hard to re-create and are usually more of a pain to get a good sound. You're best bet is to go direct and adding proper EQ and compression to it during mixing. You also need to be careful because you may very well damage a microphone when recording a cabinet. Long story short, try direct first (using whatever pedals or what not as well if you do) and go from there. With such a basic setup and basic equipment, recording a cab is going to more painful than worth it. You'll get a very thin sound.

Electric guitars. Can be difficult to get the right sound/tone. First rule: Stay away from the EQ!!! If you can't get a good sound with just the microphone, then you got problems. It can sometimes take a good engineer 1-2 hour just to get the right position on an amp because its that much different. Also, do not put more than one microphone on the amp or record anything else in the room at the same time or else you'll run in to phase issues and sounds will cancel out or double (both are a big no-no). You will really have to play with it. You really don't want to aim it directly at the dustcap of the speaker. Start off 2-3 feet away at an angle and go from there. Just keep moving the mic until you get the sound you want. Remember... don't touch that EQ!! My favorite mic for electric guitars: SM-57. The mic is just amazing. Go for it.

As for an interface, here are some options for you. The benefit of an M-audio is that you can use Pro-Tools M-Powered if you happen to get it.

Fast Track Pro:
Buy M-Audio Fast Track Pro Mobile USB Audio/MIDI Interface at Musician's Friend

Edirol UA-25:
Buy Edirol UA-25 USB Bus Powered Stereo Audio Interface at Musician's Friend

Both are great options, though I would shoot for the M-audio for several reasons:

Excellent support for drivers, etc etc.
ProTools capable
Lots of I/O

You are well on your way.

Acoustic bass: Large diaphragm mic. These are difficult to mic. You want to aim them somewhere between where the strings are plucked and the vents in the wood on either side of the string a few feet away. Get some blankets and scatter them around the bass to eliminate some boom. Also, turn on the low-cut of your mic to get rid of the boomy sound you'll hear. You could also put another mic to use high up on the frets if you like the sound of it... its a cool effect.

Putting a mic on a cabinet or an instrument is an artform in and of itself. Keep playing with it until you get a good sound. Like I said before, if you have the right mic and the right technique, you'll never have to touch an EQ.

Right about hte acoustic guitars (6 strings) the SM 57 will not work well with those correct? i would need to buy a separate mic. But the one for recording a bass amp i could possibly use on a bass guitar right?

BTW i wont be recording off of a cabinet we have some small combo amps.

What is a high pass filter? is that in the program or is that some hardware?

And recording on the actual amp for bass what is that like in simpler terms i think i know what you mean but i just wana check.

looks kinda like this?

Diagram.png

Correct me if im wrong =D

Thanks, and no prob about the late reply its not like i need it soon its just one of those things im gona slowly get into and try to become a pro at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom