Max RAM Limit?

ZRTMWA

Solid State Member
I have an old comp that I wasnt to upgrade the RAM on. I found this website that details a little bit about the computer and its memory:

Dimension 4100 Memory - Upgrade Dell 4100 Dimension Computer Memory

As you can see it has 2 168-pin sockets for PC133 DIMM SDRAM. It says the max memory supported is 512mb.

My question is, why can't I just buy 2 512mb memory units (instead of 2 256mb's)to achieve 1gb of RAM. Do all computers really have a max RAM limit?

Thanks.

The system is only designed to use 512MB. If any more memory is added to the computer It will not boot or it will just limit you to just 512MB.

I have an old comp that I wasnt to upgrade the RAM on. I found this website that details a little bit about the computer and its memory:

Dimension 4100 Memory - Upgrade Dell 4100 Dimension Computer Memory

As you can see it has 2 168-pin sockets for PC133 DIMM SDRAM. It says the max memory supported is 512mb.

My question is, why can't I just buy 2 512mb memory units (instead of 2 256mb's)to achieve 1gb of RAM. Do all computers really have a max RAM limit?

Thanks.

To answer the question "Do all computers really have a max RAM limit?", the answer is yes. Every motherboard that you purchase will have a "MAX Limit." It is due to the reason that the BIOS is set up to only ready a select amount of RAM. I would say that when this computer was release that 256mb RAM was one of the largest sticks you could purchase at that time. Now days the new motherboards max out at either 8GB/16GB/32GB.

If you place a 512MB stick of RAM, the motherboard may not be able to read it as it is over capacity for each slot. You are better off to make sure the computer only has 2 256MB sticks, so the computer can run a MAX capacity.

Back
Top Bottom