Joining the Territorial Army :)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyhow, back on topic. Do the Gurkhas actually play an active roll in any of our current military operations such as Afghanistan ?

Yes they are, Afghanistan is one of there main areas of deployment.

The wars weren't the cause of this, they aren't helping, but they weren't the cause. It has more to do with poorly run and corrupt financial institutions. But i definitely think that we could use some re prioritization in our war effort.

Case in point look at our main suppliers in Iraq. Most of them had some kind of connection to those who were in power in the previous administration, that's pretty corrupt in and of itself, but then when you hear of some of the wasteful things Haliburton and the others did its enough to **** anyone off. And what is up with the cost+ program? Why should we pay them so much for supplies? A Sargent told me once that half of our budget problems with the military is because of the stupid rules congress gives us. Instead of buying our office chairs from staples or office depot, you have to buy them from some small mom and pop place that over charges, because it helps the community. It also wastes tax payers dollars. I bet you could cut a good 30-40% of the military's budget if you let the commanders do their jobs and buy what they needed form where they wanted. Most officers have more sense in their pinky than all of congress.

Another thing, since I'm on the subject. It annoys me who ignorant people talk about how over budget and wasteful the F-22 is. They act like the F-35 is so much better. First its a cheaper and less capable plane, second, all the technology in the F-35 was developed in the F-22 program. Without the F-22 the F-35 would cost a lot more. You can't have 187 F-22s replace 500+ F-15s. The relative performance advantage of the F-22 today is similar to the F-15s when it came out. And we still bough a lot of them. The F-15 is falling apart. The F-35 isn't a dedicated fighter. Next time we get into a war with a half decent military we are going to wish we had those F-22s. The same thing happened in Vietnam to the fighter, a bunch of arm chair generals who didn't know a **** thing about the situation dictated what would happen to the military and it got a lot of good men killed. It took Vietnam to make the F-15 and to get the Air Force back into air superiority fighters. It's going to take the 2012 war with Iran or the 2020 Anglo-Chinese war to do the same.

Matt, I am with you there the British army has it's share of unnecessary spending and cost inflation because of needless spending.

Yeah it sickens me dude. We have ot buy our uniforms through 3 different "approved" vendors. They are all sub par quality and cost way too much. My boots cost about $120 and they are lower quality than my $80 pair of gortex hiking boots. It cost $150 to get gortex from these guys. I have never heard of the brands either, and I have been hiking a long time. Its all a load of crap.

Thing is, how long will it be until China becomes a super power ? They have the foundations for one, a massive population, growing wealth, a tremendously large industry. You're talking about an incredibly rich country 50 years down the line. Sure the US has a population of over 300Million, but China has 4x this.

It won't happen soon though, they have too many poor areas and human rights don't really exist in China at the moment, but once they have it sorted out (they will).. we all should be scared.

I can see India becoming very powerfull too, they have a population of over 1billion now.

I am not sure but i already think China is technically a super power, human rights makes little or no definition in what makes a supper power.

India has a big population and a fairly OK economy for that part of the world but they have issues internally that stops them from becoming stable enough politically, where as china has they have the one political party and one voice of the government this helps them obtain this level of power an respect that they currently have on the international stage.

The Human Rights effects it, because they will never be able to develop into a fully fledged more economically developed country until they have sorted out all that kind of stuff. Until then they will be considered a NIC ( newly industrialised country) and can't become members of certain international schemes.

Okay, so they can be super powerful without being classed as an MEDC. But it's very rare and the two usually go hand in hand, remember to truly be a succesfull super power you have to have people that like you and respect you, and ofcourse trust you.

China also needs to get someone new in power and stop being Communist, it's hard to trust a communist country..

Communism is a great idea on paper but will never work as it is so easily corrupted, Capitalism isn't much better but it's the best we have right now. China being communist is a serious PR problem they are facing they tried to show the nice happy smiley face of communism in the games but it's kinda hard to not notice a APC and troops badly disguised as police dotted about the place. Not to mention the arrests of several journalists.

The Human Rights effects it, because they will never be able to develop into a fully fledged more economically developed country until they have sorted out all that kind of stuff. Until then they will be considered a NIC ( newly industrialised country) and can't become members of certain international schemes.

Okay, so they can be super powerful without being classed as an MEDC. But it's very rare and the two usually go hand in hand, remember to truly be a succesfull super power you have to have people that like you and respect you, and ofcourse trust you.

China also needs to get someone new in power and stop being Communist, it's hard to trust a communist country..

What about Soviet Russia? They had terrible human rights and were a super power for a very long time.

What about Soviet Russia? They had terrible human rights and were a super power for a very long time.

It can happen. But i'm not sure it would work now. How could, Britain for example, rely on a super power in war if it can't even sort out the rights of it's own citizens ?

Theres being a super power, and then being a super power. The latter being the useful one, where people will rely on you in conflicts and not think of you as a threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom