ISP Limits?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone! Before anything I'd like to apologize if this thread isn't in the right place, this section seemed appropriate based on the title.

So basically my roommates got their own Internet and told me if I wanted to have Internet I had to halve their cost and they'd "share." To put it simply they are liars, cheaters, and I have no desire to do that. So I looked into getting my own Internet for a long list reasons other than their character. I was quickly told that one house could not have two ISPs broadcasting to it at once. Basically I couldn't get my own Internet connectivity. I googled this, and I found articles saying it was possible, but I figured I'd ask you guys since I actually trust the people here. Can I seriously not have my own ISP if there is already one providing internet to the house i live in? And if not why?

Thanks in advance for your answers and time! Always greatly appreciated.

If your provider is cable you can't have 2 connections via the same coax and I doubt you will pay them enough to run the cable from your flat to the box outside (assuming apartments). Now, it is possible if you are in say my situation for example. I can get ATT and TWC. ATT uses the phone lines (DSL) and TWC uses the coax. If I had TWC you could get ATT. So, if that is the case there at your place then just go with a different provider that uses the different lines.

If your provider is cable you can't have 2 connections via the same coax and I doubt you will pay them enough to run the cable from your flat to the box outside (assuming apartments). Now, it is possible if you are in say my situation for example. I can get ATT and TWC. ATT uses the phone lines (DSL) and TWC uses the coax. If I had TWC you could get ATT. So, if that is the case there at your place then just go with a different provider that uses the different lines.

Well I currently live in a house rooming with other people. They have Internet by coax. To my knowledge the house does have an available phone line. Currently my roommates use a coax for Comcast. Could I just get my own coax connection? Please excuse my ignorance on the matter by the way.

No, you have one line that goes from the house to the box outside. They don't want to dig another line to the house when the house already has a connection from them. See if ATT offers service to your location or Verizon. ATT has up to 24Mb packages via DSL and I think Verizon offers up to 5 or 7Mb via DSL.

No, you have one line that goes from the house to the box outside. They don't want to dig another line to the house when the house already has a connection from them. See if ATT offers service to your location or Verizon. ATT has up to 24Mb packages via DSL and I think Verizon offers up to 5 or 7Mb via DSL.

Ah that sucks. Ill check into them then, thanks for the help Mguire. Always appreciated.

Just to clarify, all cable companies use coax line, and DirecTV/Dish like to utilize that coax as well. So, if you only have cable companies available you are kinda screwed as one line / one box. At least, that's what I was to understand when I was hired on to Charter.

Or get a wireless broadband connection from AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, or a 4G / WiMax carrier if available.

Back
Top Bottom