Importance of Alexa rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbt52

Baseband Member
Curious to hear everyone's opinion of Alexa and what the Alexa rating means for your company. Do you find value in it?

Some manufacturers use our Alexa rating as a determining factor for product review samples. A quick look and Tech-Forums has went from the 46,000 range to 36,291 :thumbsup:

If I need to check site by visitor rating (though I don't like to) I usually use cubestat.com

I find any rating however, very insignificant of a site's worth.

@Slaymate, I have found that as well, that other companies use it because it is a quick and easy way to "judge" your companies "worth" (although I agree, it isnt accurate for the real value of a corporation)
@Baez, I will have to check that site out, thank you

Hi,

I don't know if you can judge a site's "worth" by using something like Alexa, however, you can do things like get a measurement for growth or decline. For example, you can see if your site is rising or dropping in general rankings. In our own case, we've watched our site go from about 30M to less than 2M in position in about a year. Alexa was a good way to watch and measure progress.

One interesting thing is to compare your site's rankings with respect to your competitors. You can measure where you are, against them, and how fast your growing or declining, against them.

As for a site's worth, it's all relative. A site that's rated high on Alexa for traffic ranking might have a much lower financial worth than a site that's rated much lower for traffic ranking, if the lower ranked site generates more revenue than the higher ranked site. To my knowledge, Alexa doesn't track financial worth of a site.

In summary, using sites like Alexa has some value but it's only a small piece of a much bigger puzzle.

I hope this helps.

My Best,

Frank
The International Foundation for Information Technology (IF4IT)

Alexa rank is one of the least objective parameters of website's SEO, trustworthy, etc.
All it shows is estimated number of sites, which have bigger traffic than your's.
P.S. to tell the truth, this parameter can be easily emulated and many web bloggers are manipulating with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom