HID headlamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Want to know if I'm the only driver out there that absolutely hates HID's with oncoming traffic. :very_angry:

Edit: I should be a bit more clear on that. HID lamps on cars with the DIY conversion kits that have no projectors that reduce the glare. Like those annoying Civic Hatchbacks.

As long as they have the correct projectors, I love HID's. Without them, I HATE them. My buddy put a pair in his stock headlamps and "could never figure out why he was getting tickets." I have a pair in my KIA, in the low beam projector, but can't use them until I can fit a projector into the high beam. (Two different lamp cases).

It's not that they reduce the glare, but project it away (more like cut off) from on coming traffic. Ever notice how some vehicle's passenger side lights seem brighter than the driver side? It's because they're angled slightly higher. If I weren't having problems with the H7 clip on my KIA, I would show how HID's are supposed to look.

The projector cuts it off, doesn't redirect it really. There ARE newer housings that have no projector and are designed for HID bulbs, but not regular bulbs.

But, I don't have a problem with them, unless the idiot doesn't know how to aim them. If I remember right, low beam, 20 foot back from a flat surface should be ~3 foot high and no higher.

If I ever do get the money, I would like to get some projectors and some bulbs for my car, but that most likely wont ever happen.

HID Projectors fix the very erratic light patterns that are created from the way the light is created and dissipated. Without a projector those light patterns create a blinding type of glare which is why it is illegal to not have those projectors. Problem here though is cops don't really care. They would rather pull over wanabe ricers with neon underglow kits instead of a real driver distraction like these conversion HID kitted cars.

Actually, it's not just how the light is created and dissipated, it is where it is created, newer headlamps on some cars look like traditional ones, but reflect the light very differently due to where the light is generated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom