HHD problem..

xcomputer

Baseband Member
Hello,

need help on taking out a IDE controller on a seagate barracuda ata VI. model" ST340016A. ive lost one of the 40 pins.. & purchasing another HDD with the same Model to replace it. If there are any links or diagrams of steps to take out the IDE controller please let me Know ASAP..... or if yous have another solution without needed to take out the IDE controller? thats be awesome..

If you can still access the data on your old hard drive, backup your files onto a USB flash drive then throw away the hard drive. If not, it's a lost cause. Just take out the old drive and install the new one in it's place. If the IDE controller on the motherboard is bad, then the motherboard is screwed. It may not be a hard drive problem at all and a new motherboard is recommended.

na man the IDE Controller on the back of the HDD>. READ REQUEST .. apparently if u get the same model HDD you can take out the old IDE controller and replace it with the new 1.. mobo fine.. atmm.. the other HDD connect to it .. is fine

YEs, that is possible to transfer IDE boards. I got a 120GB drive who's IDE controller is dead. I tried another 120GB from the same model, and it fired right up. I just need another IDE board, like you.

Now, what you need, is a screwdriver (torx) that will fit the screws of both drives (usually, both fits.). Now, next, transfer the IDE boards, but make sure you have the foam remaining on the drives! It's important for usage! Next, make sure it's well seated and screw them back. Put it in your PC, and power it up first, to see if it works. If it does, power the PC off, then plug the IDE cable in.

As far for the broken pin, if you still own, it's possible to resolder that thing.

Back
Top Bottom