help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake53

Solid State Member
ive been just connecting normally when going on the computer, but now all of a sudden, instead of my connection connecting automatically, it says that i need a password...that the JK wireless thing requires a password and a WEP key or a network key..
anybody know whats going on, any help?
thanks.

Your wireless network has been encrypted and someone, if not you yourself has assigned a WEP (Wired-Equivalent Privacy ) key to the router/Access point.
So, your machine needs to be configured with the same WEP key in order to connect to it. SO.. find out your key..

If you didn't assign this WEP key, then someone else is screwing with your router. All you have to do is reset it and log into the control panel. Then you should be able to access it like normal.

I would strongly suggest though that you do put some type of security on your wireless connection. You don't want people eating up all your bandwidth. WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) is the encryption of choice, however WEP is better than nothing. Also don't broadcast your SSID. Those two security precautions alone will protect you from most bad people.

Especially if you live in the city, you must secure your network. Other tips on secureing your wireless network can be found here

Also, somethign not mentioned in that article (I think it might be a bit dated) is the new encryption standard WPA. I don't know much about it, but since I think it came after WEP, it is very much more secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom