help with wireless security

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazza

In Runtime
hi guys (and gals), i have recently been given an old ibm thinkpad t21 laptop, and a netgear dg834g wireless router/modem/switch. i also have in my possesion this Welcome to Addon Technology. usb wireless adaptor. my problem is that the wirelessness works perfectly when i have it set to no security, but as soon as i try and enable any, even including simple WEP, i just cannot get on the network. i use the xp wireless setup thingy, when there is no security put on, it finds the network and jumps on straight away. but when i try the same thing with WEP or any other security on, it finds the network, and just stays on "aquiring network address". i dont even get a chance to put in any passwords ect. there are no "allow only these ip addys to join network" options that i have turned on.

obviously then, i want to be able to wirelessly use the network/internet but with security.

any help much appreciated!!

thanks in advance

hazza

so the computer still recognises there's a network, even if security IS enabled? because if it doesnt, it might be because enabling security on that router means the network becomes hidden.

when security IS enabled i find the network, and there is a picture of a lock next to it. i click connect, and it starts to do whatever it does, and then goes no further. it just sticks on aquring network address. i dont even get a chance to enter a password or anything.

:-(

On the wireless screen, where you can see a list of the networks - in the top left there should be a link to "Set up a wireless network for a home or small office". Do that, and just to be sure, manually assign the key... that should do the trick.

Windows is probably just flaking out, trying to connect even though it knows the network is secured, hah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom