Help with PC Login Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

benraze2001

Beta member
A friend gave me his old laptop because it "has a virus", but he hasn't used it in nearly two years because he bought a new one. He said if I can fix it, I can have it. Problem is he doesn't remember his password. On top of that, the battery is useless, it overheats and the touchpad doesn't work. I can get around all of these issues except the password. There seem to be many choices for how to resolve that, but I have yet to find one that actually works.

I burned PCLoginNow to a cd using FreeISOBurner
I set the BIOS to boot from CD.
ISOLINUX 3.11 starts and gives me the choice of either 1. Normal Boot or 2. Advanced Boot
No matter which one I choose it either gets stuck at "Booting the kernel." or immediately after that "ACPI: EC: GPE storm detected, disabling EC GPE"

I have also tried OPHCrack and ran into problems with the MD5 Sum. I'm burning through CD-Roms like crazy trying to find something that works. Any suggestions are appreciated.

You already mentioned the 2 programs that would do the trick. So you need to figure out why you cant get a good download of OPHCrack and go from there.

Could just format the drive and start over as well.

But hacking passwords is illegal. Since the machine is not technically yours till you fix it, it cant be suggested how to do so.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/windows-password-reset-disks-tools-etc-57458/

Read that and maybe can find another way.

Agreed, we don't know if you really got this laptop as a gift - therefore we can't just walk yo through hacking the laptop.

He hasn't used it for 2 years, sounds like you just need to format the drive, install the OS you want and move on.

Are you serious? That's what you took away from my post? Okay, let me try this again. The laptop was sitting at my friends house collecting dust when he told me about it. I said, "I'll bet I can fix it" and he said, "Good luck with that. I was just going to throw it in the trash." He handed me the laptop and said, "You can have it. If you can fix it, great. If not, just pitch it. There's nothing on there that I need."

Does this clear up everyone's hesitation regarding ownership of said laptop? The reason I haven't just reformatted it is because, if possible, I'd like to make sure that there is nothing on there he might want before I wipe it. I know it can be done, I just can't seem to get these tools to work for me. Additionally, I plan on letting my kids use this for doing home school lessons and I don't have a windows disk to restore from.

Can anyone suggest where I can find a valid copy of either OPHCr*** or PC Login Now? Or perhaps explain why I am getting stuck with PC Login Now as mentioned in my OP?

Last edited:
If there's nothing there then just put a clean install of windows on it and you'll be good to go, You can probably borrow a windows disk from somebody and use the key that on the sticker on the laptop

Last edited:
Last time I checked, you registered on someone else's site and they have a set of Rules that you agreed to follow upon registration. Now within those rules it is stated:

6) Keep Things Legal
Any discussion, links, or information on hacking, cracking, serial numbers, pirating, warez, or any other illegal matters is not allowed. This includes talks of Emulators and Torrents. The links provide the information needed.

Where in that rule does it state that we will help you hack a system? It does not. So despite your story and what you think, you will not find the help you want here. We follow the rules, the very same set you agreed to follow and are now trying to break to get assistance.

You have all the assistance you will get on this matter from the members. Dont ask others to break the rules like you are just so you can hack someone else's system for any reason. You put your membership at risk as well as theirs. It is disrespetful to ask someone to put their status with the site in jeopardy just for you to get an answer.

Last edited:
Let's get this thing perfectly clear, I never used the word "hack" nor any variation thereof, stated or implied.

What I asked for was assistance with a password recovery on a device that I own, which is legal in every sense of the word in any country on this planet.

If you don't know how to assist me, then just say, "Hey, buddy, I'd love to help, but I'm not sure how that is supposed to work." The other option, of course, is to simply ignore this post, like most people do when they don't understand the topic being discussed.

...last time I checked.

You don't have to use the word hack. Let me make this perfectly clear, in order to get past security measures put on a PC, it IS HACKING. So you don't have to state it. You want to bypass a password, so guess what you want to do? Hack the computer.

So no it is not legal to hack a PC. If it is a recovery, then you should know it or have other means to access the PC. But you made the mistake of saying that the device was not yours to begin with and the original owner doesn't remember the login credits.

A friend gave me his old laptop because it "has a virus", but he hasn't used it in nearly two years because he bought a new one. He said if I can fix it, I can have it. Problem is he doesn't remember his password.

You very words on the subject matter. This is in fact very much hacking and just cause you did not state the actual word hack, you mean it in every sense of the word in every country on the planet.

Topic Closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom