Help me choose a videocard :D

thesinter

Baseband Member
well, i have been looking around for a new video card lately, so far the cards i want the most all come out of the geforce 7-series. I was wanting the 7900 or 7800, but then someone told me that if your computet dosn't have a really good cpu, then you wouldn't be able to get a higher end card.

Here are my system specs.
CPU: AMD 3500+
Ram: 2 512 (looking to upgrade to 2 gigs)
harddrive:120 (7200 rpm/ 8mb cache
Video card:ati radeon 9800 pro (yes i do have a PCI express slot open)
power: 450 watt

By my specs what video card should my computer be able to handle. also be specific about the card ( my friends also said that different versions of the same card have glitches and problems)
Thanks in advance!

trance-n-e

In Runtime
I wouldnt recomend getting a high end card right now, as Dx10 is soon to come out, and with it all the new video cards. If you still want a video card, I recomend the GeForce 7600 GT. I just got it myself, and personally am very happy with it.

alvino

Golden Master
What is your budget? Are you looking for high-end, mid-range, or low-end solutions? Any company preference (i.e. ATI, NVIDIA, VIA etc)?

BigLu

Daemon Poster
dude i would highly recommend my card, the x850xt, i never get under 50fps in fear, maxed out, it overclocks aweesomely if you get the arctic cooling aftermarket cooler i have, pwns my friends 7600gt

alvino

Golden Master
Jamxx said:
Does VIA make video cards? Just wondering.
Yes they do. :) They make integrated and discrete graphics solutions. Integrated solutions are made purely by VIA themselves, but their discrete solutions are part of a joint venture with the S3 Graphics Co., Ltd. They're actually not bad...low power usage, low thermals, high clock speed, affordable price, it's really a shame they have such a small share in the graphics card market.

Here's X-bit Labs' review for the S3 Chrome S27 GPU. Enjoy. :)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/s3-chrome-s27.html

thesinter

Baseband Member
I think that my system right now is medium, but my friends say it is low. The only thing i am thinking of changing right now is my video card and ram. my budget on the video card is $300 give or take.