From an IT perspective, what are some things that you feel are challenges to our end users

molejao43

Beta member
From an IT perspective, what are some things that you feel are challenges to our end users? New Technology perhaps? the learning curve?

The challenge I face is most people don't bother to read the memos I send out :tongue:
Like when we switched over to a new VOIP phone system I sent an email out detailing how to change the password for your voicemail.... The default password was in big bold print and I still got a dozen or so emails asking for the default password. Meh :tongue:

I would say learning new things. This isn't just in technology, but every industry. Humans are creatures of habit and when you introduce something new (product, software, business process) they act adversely to it generally. If it's something new and not what they are used to they are generally not very accepting.

This happens a lot for us when introducing new programs or business processes that save time and money, but is different to the end user. I can save someone an hour a day introducing a new program, but they won't like it because its different.

As iFargle said, people also tend to ignore IT ALL emails in my company - then call the service desk asking why X program isn't working.

Personally, as a computer systems analyst, the biggest threat to my business is the transition from PC to handheld devices. In the last decade, there has been a sharp decline in PC sales, as it's cheaper to buy a tablet that will do most things that a PC can do. Each device is more proprietary than laptops, and the tech has to know a larger assortment of troubleshooting skills. I do agree with Lexluethar, knowledge is the key here. Everything that we knew a few years ago is changing, and the mobile industry is choking the PC industry. As a computer tech this is scary. I know that I have to learn so much more about a large variety of devices that are designed to be worked on only by company techs. That's my take on it.

New Technology. Currently I am blessed with working in a HP where 99% of the user base does not have a problem with taking on new technology. However in previous roles like the Council Office or the Water Board where changing from Office 2007 to Office 2010 or Windows Xp to Windows 7 spelt the end of the world to the some users

Besides the learning curve,

It is the ignorance of customers that dont want to listen to anything but what there neighbor computer guy told them he heard ( about video card she needed a bigger power supply for a card she baught he said it was a driver issue o,0?)
Or the mythos that this item x is designed for thier needs, when they buy it they find out it wasnt what they needed.

the other issue is company not disclosing system specifications such as ram, video, proc spd.
I find this hard when I am offering some of my loyal customers, and friends advice about phones, or tablets, ect.

One thing I do like about the advancement and mass supply of tech, that it lowers the price of pre tech, amd enables me to have fun....

Back
Top Bottom