Do I need a network adapter?

Redassasin101

Beta member
Alright, so I recently got my hands on a Dell Optiplex 990 and it seems to have a WiFi card in it but this may also be for the Ethernet. Anyway, the setup for my desktop is too far from my router to use an Ethernet cable so I need to know if I will need to get a wireless network adapter for it to connect to my router. If anyone could give me a clear response that would be great, thanks!

If Windows is up and running, to the left of your clock at the bottom right of your screen is the system tray. In there, you should see a wireless icon. If you hold your mouse over each icon, it will tell you what they are for, typically. The wireless one will say something along the lines of "Not Connected - Connections Available" or some variation. If you don't see this, and you only see what looks to be a monitor with an "X" on it, then you probably don't have WiFi.

You can also double check in your device manager. Open your "Start" menu, type (without the quotes) "devmgmt.msc" and hit enter. Your device manager will open up. Look for "Network adapters" in the list and click the arrow to the left of that. It will expand and show you all network adapters installed on the computer. Let us know what is listed there.

Back
Top Bottom