Cryptolocker

I heard about this a few months back actually and I kinda wondered couldn't you just boot off a Linux live CD and get all the files you need and then reboot your OS? or would they still be locked?

I appreciate this can be a rather drastic fix but it's certainly something I would rather do than pay a ransom.

Cryptolocker scares the Dickens out of me. Once it encrypts your data there's no way to get it back unless you pay the ransom. The only true defense is to have your data backed up somewhere that the virus can't get to. At least then you could do a clean install and restore your data.

Yeah this is pretty well established now, first discovered in May 2013. Absolutely no way to get it back once you've been infected (except ransom) since they did their crypto exactly right. One thing you can do though is apply a patch to prevent infection occurring in the first place. Obviously, this then just becomes a race as to finding a new way to install it, and then patching again.

Best advice? Same as always: Have encrypted offline/cloud backups (i.e. NOT accessible via Windows drive letters e.g. Z:\), browse carefully, don't run Java/Flash/javascript by default (i.e. without asking your permission) and don't click links/attachments in emails.

Links: CryptoPrevent — Krebs on Security & CryptoPrevent | Computer Technician - PC Repair Software |Foolish IT LLC

Last edited:
You guys have heard of this too. Scary right ?

Definitely. The sad thing is that it's really quite easy to do this kind of thing, and blocking users' access to all their data is certainly a payment incentive!
What's worse still is that since Cryptolocker has been so successful (8 figure earnings to-date), there are already copy-cats samples appearing and gaining traction too. Tied together with an anonymous currency like bitcoin it really does make a good pairing.

Backups are, and always have been, a good idea which no-one really bothered with. Maybe they'll start now perhaps since the price of a NAS drive is less than half a typical ransom payment and online backup services such as Carbonite are even less than that!

Yes this can be scary if your computer ever caught this virus.

I have everything on my computer backed up on dvd's and on my ipod. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to get rid of the virus, so i'm not too worried about getting it.

It's always a good thing to use safe internet habits too.

If my computer gets infected well all my files are backed up, Get the Hirens and DBAN the disk and reinstall Windows and all my favorite programs.

Yes this can be scary if your computer ever caught this virus.

I have everything on my computer backed up on dvd's and on my ipod. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to get rid of the virus, so i'm not too worried about getting it.

It's always a good thing to use safe internet habits too.
Removing the virus itself is fairly trivial but it's doubtful anyone will be able to crack the encryption method they use to encrypt your data so unless you pay the ransom the data is as good as GONE. That's why it's important to have a good backup.

Back
Top Bottom