Catcher In The Rye...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
"Though Holden never describes his psychological breakdown directly, it becomes clear as the novel progresses that he is growing increasingly unstable. how does Salinger indicate this instbility to the reader while protecting his narrator's reticence (not revealing one's thoughts or feelings readily)?"

... Anyone wanna' help me with my essay? :eek:

I feel sorry for you man. That is one of the worst books of all time. I read it a while ago, but let's see what I can remember. Maybe one answer could be that while not stating that Holden was breaking down Sallinger made Holden'ts behavior became more and more erratic and unstable throughout the book.

Yeah I'll admit, That and huck fin i totally cheated on. I just couldn't help it. Oh well, I've found ways to cleans my conscience ;).

I have to agree, the book suck @ss, I recently had to do an essay on it and I believe I got a 60-something percent on it.

Oh man, I LOVED this book! It's so much better than everything else I was forced to read last year (barring To Kill a Mockingbird).

Talk about how he became more and more emotionally unstable; how he was having to pull into his "fake" world more and more often as the book went on. Also cite how, towards the end, when he meets his old friend in Central Park (I think it is...) he begins to ramble on incoherently and finally breaks into tears when she refuses his advances.

Beyond that, Sparknotes ARE your friends ;)

The book is not as bad as "Great Expectations". First of all despite that name there is no car chases, no hot-heavy love scene, or people getting beheaded. I suggest Spark notes they are pretty cheap for their quality.

if you would like a REAL good book I suggest "Gates of Fire"- its about the battle in thermphae(sp) where the spartans held off around a million persians for a week, taking 10x their numbers to the grave.

www.sparknotes.com

start there

i'll give you a hint though...it has to do with his actions. think about the weird, almost desperate things he did....such as the prostitute incident... or did you even read it?

man, for those of you that didn't like that book, i'm sorry. i think it was amazing, but that's probably because i related to the character in several ways. anyways, it's a good story if you bother to take the time to really get into it.

I had to write on the EXACT same thing. keep in mind that holden has Post traumatic Stress Syndrome, from the death of his little brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom