Blocking phone app via router?

barwick11

Beta member
I've been digging trying to figure out how to do this, but I've come up blank.

I've got a Linksys e1200 router. I'd like to block all youtube access in the house (ideally via parental controls), it works just fine from computers, but the native apps on phones just bypass that completely. I'm pretty sure they use a range of IP addresses, and near as I can tell there's no option in parental controls for blocking a range of IP's.

I'm wondering maybe there's a way to block TCP or UDP packets to a range of addresses in general? Or use port forwarding somehow to misdirect it? I'm really at a loss here.

I'm 90% sure the port number is 80 (since it's a website, not sure if videos stream via a secondary port)

You can't just block it based on the domain name? YouTubes IP (or at least one of them) is 74.125.224.136

You might want to run a pingtest to see which IP your network is accessing YouTube though.

I'm 90% sure the port number is 80 (since it's a website, not sure if videos stream via a secondary port)

You can't just block it based on the domain name? YouTubes IP (or at least one of them) is 74.125.224.136

You might want to run a pingtest to see which IP your network is accessing YouTube though.

Yeah the problem is, Youtube uses a series of different IP addresses. Do a Whois on Youtube from the internet, try it 10 times in a row and you'll probably get 10 different results in the 173.194.34.* range

Yes you can block service's on the router.

Go into the router advance tap and you will see the ablity to block.

However, I truely belive that your "PHONES" are NOT connecting to your home router as much as to your local phone network.

Well dang. Didn't know they changed that often. I tried a pingtest about half a dozen times and it never changed.. Just tried now and I've moved on to a new IP :tongue:

The only way I can think of at this point is blocking the site through a parental control or a firewall on your router, since they can block domains entirely.

Firewall might be your best bet. Either that or set up parental controls on each device individually.

Yes you can block service's on the router.

Go into the router advance tap and you will see the ablity to block.

However, I truely belive that your "PHONES" are NOT connecting to your home router as much as to your local phone network.

They're not on the mobile network, I guarantee that. They're old phones with no plan.

iFargle: I tried that, I have youtube.com, m.youtube.com, and youtube's ip range blocked, but that doesn't do anything except on computers. The app bypasses that somehow.

That's odd.. Maybe they're accessing through another (unknown by the public) IP? I can't really think of a way to test that though. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom