Bad Performance in shogun 2. Odd indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alive.777

In Runtime
Hi there,
I went out and bought shogun 2 after finaly resolving my steam connection issue (thread on this forum). The game by default, put everything on max apart from the check boxes such as SSAO. i checked all of the boxes so the game was running at its full potential (apart from unit size which is on high). Now, i actually have an ASUS GTX 580 (not mentioned in rig, yet to update it) and i also bumped my i7 from 3.6ghz to 3.7 ghz.

The first battle i played was one of the historical battles (battle of sekegara, not sure how u spell it, basicly the on in the demo). Fully zoomed out and moving around, i get around 45 fps and zoomed in on the troops as they march, i get aroung 37 fps. Whe i get into a big mellee with heaps of troops tightly compacted together fighting, my fps drops to about 16fps and if i spin the camera around so the light reflects off the troops armor, i get around 12 fps. This basicly makes the game unenjoyable for me. I have a friend who has a gtx 570 and a phenom x6 1055t oc to 4ghz and he gets playable frame rates even in the biggest battles reguardless of the camera angle or zoom level.

surley that small OC above mine could not give him like 20 fps increase over me? i also tryed decreasing the unit detail to high which only gave an fps increase when zoomed out and only by 5 fps. i also noticed in just cause 2 if i get into a patch of trees with the late afternoon sun shining through and look on a very specific angle, my fps drops into the low teens. just cause 2 fps continuosly varies darasticly on my system, making it seem sluggish and crap. Why am i seeing these performance drops in game? benchmarks were way better (not sure about shogun 2 though as there is no gtx 580 benchmarks)

Um sorry to inform you but it isnt just 300MHz that gives him the advantage. He also has 2 more cores on his CPU. The i7 is not a x6 like his Phenom. So he has 6 cores instead of your 4, 2 more cores can produce the extra 20 FPS.

@KSoD, True, but the game is only using 2 cores as it is not fully optimised yet so it only comes down to the clock speed and the extra 300mhz will only give him a few fps. Another thing, would my ram be a bottleneck in the system. it is rather slow 9-9-9-24. I was considering getting faster ram and more of it. iam running tripple channel so 12gb is the next step for me. If thid would help my fps, please let me know.

@KSoD, True, but the game is only using 2 cores as it is not fully optimised yet so it only comes down to the clock speed and the extra 300mhz will only give him a few fps. Another thing, would my ram be a bottleneck in the system. it is rather slow 9-9-9-24. I was considering getting faster ram and more of it. iam running tripple channel so 12gb is the next step for me. If thid would help my fps, please let me know.

The fps definitely drops when you zoom in on lots of troops. It can get pretty low, but because it's an RTS, i wouldn't say it's unplayable.

edit:

Just did 990 vs 1280 in a custom battle, just set them all in to attack in one big mass. Tried different zoom levels and cameras and couldn't drop it below 21fps. Average was 24/25fps when zoomed in. 35fps when zoomed out. All at max settings @ 1650x1080. Nvidia control panel has everything set to performance.
PC Spec in sig.

I would just blame it on the game need a performance patch and maybe Nvidia needing to update their drivers.

Man this is getting frustrating. Is my GPU a dud? i mean, a gtx 470 flogs my gtx 580 according to shogun 2. What els could be the problem? i have all the nvidia controle panel settings on default and iam running 270.51 BETA drivers. That increased my performance by about 5 fps, still not playable and i would not call 12 fps playable in any game. Seems CP settings are the only software variable to change. Please list or provide a screenshot of the CP settings. Thanks :)

edit: 270.51 driver seems to have given me a more consistant fps in just cause 2. it rarley dips below 25, usually sitting at 45-60. I hope my card is not damaged in anyway. shogun 2 seems to proove this

edit again: I played around with the graphics settings in shogun 2 and found that changing SSAO from on to off did not affect my fps at all. v-sysnc makes no difference to the fps, deapth of field makes no difference, all of the check boxes make no difference to the fps.

Man this is getting frustrating. Is my GPU a dud? i mean, a gtx 470 flogs my gtx 580 according to shogun 2. What els could be the problem? i have all the nvidia controle panel settings on default and iam running 270.51 BETA drivers. That increased my performance by about 5 fps, still not playable and i would not call 12 fps playable in any game. Seems CP settings are the only software variable to change. Please list or provide a screenshot of the CP settings. Thanks :)

edit: 270.51 driver seems to have given me a more consistant fps in just cause 2. it rarley dips below 25, usually sitting at 45-60. I hope my card is not damaged in anyway. shogun 2 seems to proove this

edit again: I played around with the graphics settings in shogun 2 and found that changing SSAO from on to off did not affect my fps at all. v-sysnc makes no difference to the fps, deapth of field makes no difference, all of the check boxes make no difference to the fps.

What i didn't tell you is that i can't play the game at all because after about 20 minutes it makes my GPU show artifiacts and multicolored pixels and hangs my PC. Even if i put the fan at 100percent so it don't get above 70c. The temperature doesn't matter, the game just screws it up. I play other games for hours with my GPU at 90c with no problems.

Its a buggy game i'd think. Though 25fps in JC2 is odd. Is that in the city ? and what AA levels are you at ?

when i say 25fps, i mean the lowest ive EVER seen it was 25 and that was for about a second before jumping back up to 60. AA is set to x8. at 1080p, 8xaa and 32xcsaa make do difference to the visual quality

@kmanmx, Unfortunatly not. All the patch did was fix a heap of multiplayer server list issues and crash bugs, no performance fixes or optimisations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom