6-Year-Old Boy Carried Away On Home Made Ballon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
6-Year-Old Boy Missing After Balloon Floats Away - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver
6-Year-Old Boy Missing After Balloon Floats Away

FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- The search is on for a 6-year-old boy who is missing after floating over northeastern Colorado in a homebuilt helium balloon that touched down about two hours after lifting off.

The balloon landed about 2 miles northeast of Prospect Reservoir at 1:35 p.m., in Weld County, but the boy was not inside. That's about 50 miles from where the balloon lifted off.

The boy has been identified as Falcon Heene, the youngest of the family's three sons.

The family reported Falcon could not be found when the balloon lifted off. His older brother told his parents that he saw Falcon climb into the small compartment at the bottom of the balloon and the balloon lifted off, Larimer County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Kathy Messick said.

The boy's home and neighborhood were immediately searched and there was no sign of the boy, leading everyone to believe the boy had climbed into the craft.

"I got the impression the boy was part of the balloon when it lifted off," a neighbor told reporters who were gathered outside the Heene family home in Fort Collins.

The balloon, in the shape of a flying saucer, was covered in foil and filled with helium. It has a compartment for a passenger underneath. It lifted into the air from Fort Collins Thursday morning, after the balloon became untethered from the boy's home.

"We were sitting, eating, looking out where they normally shoot off hot air balloons. My husband said he saw something. It went over our rooftop. Then we saw the big round balloonish thing, it was spinning," said Lisa Eklund.

The father and son had apparently been working on the aircraft for some time.

"This sort of thing is normal for them," the neighbor said.

Airtracker 7 located the balloon at 12:35 p.m. at about 8,000 feet in Weld County. It appeared to be slightly tilted at that time.

"The structure at the bottom of the balloon that the boy is in is made of extremely thin plywood and won't withstand any kind of a crash at all," said Erik Nilsson, Larimer County Emergency Manager, as the balloon floated thousands of feet over farmland.

Deputies from Larimer and Weld counties tracked the balloon from the ground as it drifted in the skies. Experts said it could remain airborne for up to 12 hours, although it was clearly deflated on one side by 1:25 p.m., and was descending about 400 feet off the ground at 1:30 p.m.

When it landed, at 1:35 p.m., deputies immediately surrounded and secured the balloon then radioed the news, "Be advised, it's empty. It's empty."

A neighbor said the "whole family was out there" working on the balloon Thursday morning. The neighbor said the balloon was supposed to be tethered and hover 20 feet in the air with no one on board.

"This was never meant to carry anybody," Messick said.

While the balloon was airborne, Larimer County fire dispatchers asked if Airtracker 7 could use an outside speaker to ask the boy if he had a valve to release helium.

"Is there a way to release some of the helium that this kid may know?" the dispatcher asked. "Maybe we can get him to lower it."

There was no visible response from the balloon.

There was worry at one point that the balloon might drift into air traffic control corridors used by Denver International Airport, based on its current location and direction. Deputies alerted DIA air traffic controllers to warn them about letting aircraft fly through the area.

Flights heading to the north from DIA were diverted while the balloon was in the air. The Colorado National Guard launched a Blackhawk helicopter and a smaller Kiowa helicopter to try and intercept the balloon, but they were never seen.

Authorities were reviewing photos and cell-phone videos to see if they could determine if the boy was on the craft.

A massive ground search was launched after the balloon touched down and deputies determined the boy was not aboard. Law enforcement agencies were retracing the balloon's path in an effort to try and locate the missing boy.

7News confirmed the boy is the son of Richard and Mayumi Heene, who appeared on an episode of ABC's "Wife Swap."

Richard Heene has been described by friends as a sort of "mad scientist." He is a storm chaser and has a Web site, called The Psyience Detectives, which "investigates the mysteries of science and psychic phenomenon."

7NEWS meteorologist Richard Ortner described Heene as "very intelligent and wildly creative." Ortner accompanied the Heene family as they were storm chasing last year.

Once again, we have another Danny Deckchair. It scares me with the number of times we see some thing like this pop up in the news.

Hurray for Darwinism in action.

Hiding in the attic the whole time. *facepalm*

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – A 6-year-old boy was found hiding in a cardboard box in his family's garage attic Thursday after being feared aboard a homemade helium balloon that hurtled 50 miles through the sky on live television.

The discovery marked a bizarre end to a saga that started when the giant silvery balloon floated away from the family's yard Thursday morning, sparking a frantic rescue operation that involved military helicopters and briefly shut down Denver International Airport.

But Sheriff Jim Alderden turned to reporters during a news conference and gave a thumbs up and said 6-year-old Falcon Heene is "at the house." "Apparently he's been there the whole time," he said.

The boy's father, Richard Heene, said the family was tinkering with the balloon Thursday and that he scolded Falcon for getting inside a compartment on the craft. He said Falcon's brother had seen him inside the compartment before it took off and that's why they thought he was in there when it launched.

But the boy fled to the attic at some point after the scolding and was never in the balloon during its two-hour, 50-mile journey through two counties. "I yelled at him. I'm really sorry I yelled at him," Heene said as he hugged his son during a news conference.

"I was in the attic and he scared me because he yelled at me," Falcon said. "That's why I went in the attic."

Boy said to have floated off in balloon found safe - Yahoo! News

THis whle thing makes me think his parents must be truly hopeless. They keep so poor track of their kids that they're letting them play unsupervised in a huge helium balloon and then they lose track of him in the attick for 6 hours. Just wonderful, I mean really top notch parenting. They should go bowling with that mother who was using her kid as a cartopper paperweight; I bet they'd get along famously.

Actually, the balloon couldn't lift the kid. Theres not enough lift from it...

A full 20x5 balloon would lift, ideally, 50lbs. The craft was saucer shaped, so 3/4s th size tops means 40ish lbs, then it was limp and had a plywood box on it... so the kid had to be bout 25lbs to get lifted away.

Dad was probsably too flustered to think properly to realize this.. but could you blame him...

Everyone says what bad parents.. but its like a mechanic or carpenter with kids running around the tools..

Everyone says what bad parents.. but its like a mechanic or carpenter with kids running around the tools..

So..... been running around with my dad's tools in my hands since I was 4.
And now days, I don't mind doing a little bit of DYI.

So..... been running around with my dad's tools in my hands since I was 4.
And now days, I don't mind doing a little bit of DYI.

i don't think he meant it in a bad way..i think he meant that they are bad parents because naturally the kids are going to play with their parent's work stuff

i don't think he meant it in a bad way..i think he meant that they are bad parents because naturally the kids are going to play with their parent's work stuff

No, actually I meant that, its just another thing in the yard... Most of us don't have big balloons in our yards, so it seems like neglect.. But alot of us have other common dangerous items, yet arn't deemed bad/neglective parents.

I just heard about this on the radio, I believe. The kid's family has been on Wife-Swap a couple times, and the family just seems to want to catch some t.v. time. They've talked to several stations about doing a documentary or something like that. I don't know if this is the same family, but how many kids go flyin' away in balloons in CO everyday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom