Trying to reinstall windows in order to format hdd, help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I saw that you said that. I'm at school right now, so I can't try it atm. Will this format my hdd and get rid of any malicious content and other things slowing it down?

A format will ALWAYS get rid of malicious content. As i have said before and a search would have said.

I was concerned with whether control + f11 will format. I assuming no since it returns it to the way I got it which was with os already installed.

That is a factory restore. It will return it to factory settings. Do you really thing it came from teh factory with that stuff installed? Which means that at some point it would do a format.

Yeah, I know. I just like to make absolutely sure it is going to wipe everything. Anyway, it turns out that the drive that was farthest from the motherboard actually was the master drive on cs. I changed the jumpers, and have since gotten the recovery disc to run.

Finally, I am going to inquire about using that oldrivers disc you told me to make so that I don't have to get all my drivers all over again. You said something about using it with the device manager. I know what the device manager is of course, but I'm not quite sure of the exact process you want me to go through.

Oh yeah, while I'm waiting, what are the lastest versions of dx9 and dx runtime (I think that is what it is called) that I need to get?

Edit: Ok, I sucessfully reinstalled but now my computer thinks my dvd drive is a cd drive whenever I put a disc in it and will not load. When it is out, it thinks it is a cd drive, but as soon as a disc goes in there, it thinks it is a cd. I thought this happened because I switched the jumpers, so I switched them back, but it is still doing this. If I can't get it to load my disc, I'm going to have to go through a lot of trouble getting all those driver updates. Besides, I really need a working dvd drive.

Edit: I guess it just doesn't want to read the discs I created. I put in cod5 and that worked. I can't get all the data I saved though cause it won't read these discs.

Edit: It thinks they are blank, but I know they are not cause I had just wrote to them, and I can see the line on the disc where the writing stopped. Is it possible that the disc isn't of good enough quality for this early of a version of windows?

Edit: Since I could not get to my drivers from my disc, I put in the dell resource disc that contained drivers and it said that a hardware scan found both a 6800 and a 7800GTx. I definitely don't have a 7800 gtx. Why would it say it found this? I haven't installed the drivers for it because I don't want to screw things up.

Can't edit anymore.

My dl speed is way down now, and I don't know if it is just because my internet speed is slow right now or if it has something to do with something not being installed.

I still can't get my drive to read those discs either and I've updated windows all the way I think. Service pack 3 or whatever.

Well did you finalize the disks when you burned them? If not they wouldnt be able to be used.

Have you gone to Sppedtest.net to test your speed? What are you supposed to be getting?

We cant help you if you dont give us information. Telling us your net is slow without telling us what you should be getting and what you are getting thru testing will get no answers. You have to help us help you.

Patch is dling at like 44kbps. I've gotten up to 600 on that site before on a file of that size.

Yeah, I guess I didn't finalize the files. I just used copy and paste to get them on the discs.

If you used Nero Burning Rom they have the option to Copy the files to the compilation with a simple right click. My guess would be that it wasnt finalized. Without it being final there is no way for the disk to be read since it is waiting to be finalized.

What is your down speed supposed to be? Do you have anything else downloading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom