The New, Hopefully Bug Free Folding@Home Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it is a permission problem. Something like your anti virus program is not letting it through to the port it needs. You may need to add it manually or disable your antivirus when you install it.

Ok El Roberto, seems they have changed the new SMP with Version 6.22. I have been running 5.92. It ran in SMP mode all the time. This new SMP program will run on only 1 core unless you specify -SMP when you start the program. I installed 6.22 and ran it this morning. When I started it, I got a wu worth 86 ppd. and only one core was working. After a little reading on the Stanford forum, you must use the flag -SMP to get it to run on all four cores in SMP mode. So, do what you did before to get it running, but once you get it configured to work correctly, as you did before, then close the program and add the flap -smp to you shortcut and run the program again. It should run in smp mode after that with the bigger wu's. Also when it asks you during configuration if you want larger wu's greater than 5mb, say yes. Good Luck.

I still cant get it to work ive had my antivirus and firewall off and im running as administator... also i allready had the -smp flag, thats what started the problem it works without it but it gets the small work units like you said. Im going to see if i cant find a solution on the folding forum.

Anyone else having trouble getting the new 6.20 Cleint working? I uninstalled the old version. Got rid of everything associated with it using Revo Uninstaller. Removed the old folder and everything. Installed the new build since this is no longer a Beta and now it wont get a WU.

Settings are the same. Nothing has changed. I jsut dont get it. It will not get a work unit.

Anyone else having trouble getting the new 6.20 Cleint working? I uninstalled the old version. Got rid of everything associated with it using Revo Uninstaller. Removed the old folder and everything. Installed the new build since this is no longer a Beta and now it wont get a WU.

Settings are the same. Nothing has changed. I jsut dont get it. It will not get a work unit.

I installed 6.22 over 5.92. I was a little disappointed at first. It worked fine at first. The first WU D/L was worth 84 points because I forgot the -SMP flag. After that wu completed it did D/L a SMP wu. Then I noticed that my cores are no longer working @ 100%. Task manager, Core Temp, and a widget I have all report an average of 50% core usage. It seems to be a glitch tho as the wu completed in the same amount of time. The second wu d/l and ended early at 4%. It restarted and did it again at 13%. It finished that wu finally and d/l another. It finshed then hung at Shuttung Down Core. I saved that wu, u/p it and it d/l another. Since then it seems to be working ok.
Mak, you may try running 6.22 instead of 6.20. I know there are 2 extra options at the end of the config on 6.22. It has to do with the IP address. You may look at the forum to see what to set these to. Since I did not delete the old 5.92, I did not have to configure 6.22. There are also 2 ways to run this new program. One is Deino the other is using MPICH. Stanford threw this new 6.22 out in a hurry since the other programs expired on 8-1 or 8-2. They made this new 6.22 run either single core or multiple core, but it seems in there hurry to get it out before the others expired that they have many issues with it.
I now have mine running OK, so far. Now I have to get the GPU reinstalled since it expired on 8-2.

I still cant get it to work ive had my antivirus and firewall off and im running as administator... also i allready had the -smp flag, thats what started the problem it works without it but it gets the small work units like you said. Im going to see if i cant find a solution on the folding forum.

If you start 6.22 without the -smp flag, it will run on one core. You should be able to stop it, add the -smp flag and restart F@H. It will continue to run on one core and finish the first wu it was working on. After that wu is finished it should d/l a smp wu and then use all 4 cores.

prvrt,

I am checking now for the 6.22 client. But after i had posted that i finally started to get WU from 6.20. It may have been because i adjsuted my firewall to add the 80 and 8080 ports to the exception list for F@H GPU. But i never had to do that before. Strange IMO.

But i will check to see if the 6.22 client will be worth the download and install over the 6.2 client as it works now.

Just checked and the 6.22 client is mainly for SMP use. I dont have a multi core CPU or GPU. So that client would be wasted with me really. I will stick iwth the 6.20 client since it is working.

Cheers,
Mak

prvrt,

But i will check to see if the 6.22 client will be worth the download and install over the 6.2 client as it works now.

Just checked and the 6.22 client is mainly for SMP use. I dont have a multi core CPU or GPU. So that client would be wasted with me really. I will stick iwth the 6.20 client since it is working.

Cheers,
Mak

Good to here it is working. Your firewall may have been the problem. The old programs used F@H.exe. Not sure about 6.20, but 6.22 uses Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe which the firewall may have not reconized.
Just for your info, 6.22 runs on any machine now. If you leave the flag -smp off, it will run on a single core. If you add the -smp flag, it will run on a dual or quad core.

Ahh okay. Not to sure how those things work. Not that familiar with F@H. Just run it to help out the forum rank. ;)

Someday i might get a system that can run the SMP stuff. But that probably wont be for a few years the way it is looking for me now. :p

folding with the ps3 again :) and i think i may buy a gtx260 to fold with pretty soon as well.. and just a craptacular mobo so i can stop using this terrible dell.. and just transfer its parts :)

so pretty soon i will have a nice line up of

p4 @ 3.0 ghz
gtx260
and ps3 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom