Windows Explorer gone- XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the chkdsk ran and said it corrected 1 or more errors. The other 2 commands you gave me said they were invalid so after the chkdsk was over I rebooted and still came to the black screen where the XP loading screen should have been. Now what?

There was only 2 commands. There are

chkdsk /r /f
sfc /scannow

That is the full command and how it should be run. You didnt run them right.

How do you run two commands at once because when I press enter for the first command it runs the first one only.

Here is what happened.
I ran chkdsk /r /f and it gave me an error message saying the command was invalid. I then ran chkdsk /rf and that ran. After that finished I typed in sfc /scannow and it either says the parameters are not valid or the command is not supported.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

You dont run them at the same time. But from the error messages you are receiving the only thing i can think of is your not in the root of the drive. Use this command first:

Code:
cd..

When you get back to just the C:\ prompt then try using the chkdsk /r /f command and after that finishes run the sfc /scannow command.

The prompt says "C:\Windows:" and i type the command following the colon. I tried your "cd.." command and that said the parameters were invalid as well.

Well that is not good. Cause that is only the command for change directory. Sorry but at this point the install is fubar. There isnt going to be a way to save it if you cant run any commands or do anything with the install. That is the worst case situation. The only other thing you can try, another repair install and see if that will take. If not it will be a full format and reinstall.

Just wanted to let you know that the last Repair install finally worked and his desktop is back up with all the icons and taskbars still there. It seems to have been properly restored, just wanted to say thanks a bunch for all the advice you gave me. My dad and I both really appreciate it, and the experience I gained from it was worth it.

Well, hold the phone for a second. Everything seems to be working except for when the computer is left alone for a shortwhile and the screen saver kicks in. After you move the mouse to remove the screen saver to get it to show the windows log on screen, all I get is my dads wallpaper with no icons and taskbar. I can't control alt delete because nothing comes up when you do. I checked the screen saver settings and they seem to be correct, 7 minutes until showing SS with the box checked to show windows logon screen afterwards.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom