Testing a MOBO & CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
I have a couple questions..

First, when you set up your PC outside of the case what surface should the motherboard be placed?

Second, if you give power to the PC with only the CPU installed, should you get any types of Beep Code, or do you need to have other components installed?

Any help would be appreciated =)

First, when you set up your PC outside of the case what surface should the motherboard be placed?
The best thing you can find that won't conduct electricity....I believe one person in here put theres on cardboard and it seems like that would work pretty good as I've heard no instances of anyone or anything being shocked from cardboard :)

Second, if you give power to the PC with only the CPU installed, should you get any types of Beep Code, or do you need to have other components installed?

You should be getting a beep code...usually when there's no RAM it'll be 3 long beeps (rather annoying really) but also you gotta remember you'll need to have the speaker from the case plugged into your mobo so your case needs to be kinda close by :p That's the only way you'd hear those beeps.

Many thanks, Nubius. I forgot about hooking up the speaker. DUH! It's kind of weird, I had an ASUS board once that beeped without a speaker hooked up. Must have had something on the board.

I'll put down some cardboard and see what happens. =)

I had an ASUS board once that beeped without a speaker hooked up.
Yes it did have an onboard speaker. So does my old ASUS board and I wouldn't doubt that a lot of them did or still do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom