P4 1.8 vs Celeron 2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatland

Beta member
Hi:

I'm very new to this forum, please bear with me. My computer is a couple of years old. The motherboard has a 400fsb and Socket 478. I am running a P4 1.8 processor and 512M of RAM. I want to extend the life of the system for a couple more years. I don't use it for gaming, only office work and net surfing. It seems that the only compatible CPU upgrade is a Celeron 2.8 400FSB S478. I have looked through the forum and archives and have seen similar posts, but not quite on this topic. I have determined that most people think Celerons are "crap". But, for my purpose, will this upgrade produce a significant performance increase. I will probably double the RAM as well. This is intended to be a lower cost upgrade than buying a completely new system. I am just finding that it seems a little slow. I have also tweaked XP and local services to where I want them.

Thanks in advance,

I would definantly avoid a celeron in my opinion. But as for you, you are looking for a cheap, alternative upgrade. How it sounds, i think the celeron would be a decent upgrade. It is a celeron, which blows, but its giving u 2.8Ghz of power vs the P4's 1.8 and i think you will still notice a difference because this is a pretty large gap. For the ram, look up your mainboard model and make sure your mobo can handle a Gb of ram, being a couple of years old, i wouldnt be suprised if it it didnt.

Thanks for the quick reply!! As far as I can tell the celeron is my only option as all P4's of any significant speed are a faster fsb. I can increase the ram and probably will. Any other tips? I don't think the core voltages are identical. Celeron 1.25V-1.525V vs P4 1.53V. Will that cause a problem? I haven't got a clue.

Uh... why would you need to upgrade a P4 1.8GHz if youre just going to be doing office work and net surfing? I can do that on a Celerorn 400MHz :confused:

celeron arent bad, infact they will meet your whole requirements for couple of years more.

i've been running SQL Server 6.0 on my celeron 333Mhz with no problem, and you are talking about small office work and surfing on ~2.8???

upgrade with ease.

I would up and get the celeron,i have a celeron 2.4 and it doe's everything i need it to no problem,you might want to think about getting a gig of ram to go with it,it shouldn't give you any problem's what so ever for what you need it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom