How to copy from slave hard drive to master hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackninja

Solid State Member
Hi. As I'm unable to boot up my old computer and need some files off it I removed the hard drive from it and attached it to the 'slave' connection on a working computer's hard drive. The working computer boots up OK but having done this what program do I use to get files from the non working computer's hard drive?

You don't need any special program.

Did you set the jumpers on the HDD to slave. If the HDD in your old computer was a master, the jumpers are probably set to master. You'll need to put the jumpers on slave if you are going to add it to an existing IDE cable as a slave. When you restart your PC enter the bios and see if the bios detects this new HDD. IF it does you should be able to enter your OS and it should be detected as a new drive letter.

Then just find your files and copy & paste to master HDD.

There's a slight tear in the ribbon leading to the master harddrive connection. Is this why 'none' is coming up next to primary master and primary slave drives?

Just got back to this. Have replaced the IDE cable. Bit confused: isn't the connector on the middle of the IDE cable supposed to be the slave? This is connected to the main hard-drive on the working computer, and on the bios screen this hard-drive is down as the primary master, whereas the CD/DVD drive, connected to the end of the IDE cable, is down as the primary slave.

Anyway I disconnected the CD/DVD drive and connected the hard drive from the non-working computer to that connector, with the jumper set to slave. On restarting the computer the bios screen comes up with the working computer harddrive still as primary master, but nothing under primary slave. Why is this? Is there a way round it?

primary master or slave is IDE channel 1
secondary master or slave is channel 2

that is what i usualy go about connecting the cables, i use the end for the master and the middle for the slave.

what iw ould do, is set that second hard drive to master, hook it up on a different cable than your hard drive that stays in there.

you can have two masters, but they need to be on different cables.

when in window's, open up both hard drives...copy, paste

he's right, if you are going to do master-slave the drives can be on the same cable. if you are going to do master-master, than you need 2 IDE cables in 2 different IDE ports on your motherboard.

also, if you are going to be copying files from your old hard disk, its best that the drives have the same fileing system. for example, if i have 2 hard drives in my computer, with 2 different operating systems i may not be able to copy files from one to another.

when i'm using windows 98(FAT32) on one hard disk, i can't copy files that are on the other disk with windows 2000(NTFS). BUT if i'm in windows 2000(NTFS), i can copy files from the windows 98(FAT23) hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom