Samsung Develops Next-Gen 5G

PP Mguire

Build Guru
As it appears, Samsung have already decided to start developing the next wireless data service even though LTE still hasn't made its way to everybody. This 5G according to them is supposedly able to transfer data to your celly at 1Gb speeds. A bold claim, even for a supposed 2020 release.
The reason I say this, is because current local wireless transfer rates are still stuck with reception problems and half duplex transfer speeds meaning true 1Gb isn't possible on current wireless solutions for our home computers and devices.
Even though 6.5 years seems like a long ways, even for technology, I personally feel 2020 1Gb cell data speeds is a bit farfetched but I've never been one to not be excited about such things.

Source

And unless a better solution is found for mobile batteries (besides just higher capacity)... your phone will only last for a single download with 5g lol. 4g tears my battery up as it is.

Well the truth is we still have yet to see 1GBps reach home for normal users. Verizon FiOS isnt avaiable in all areas and that has reached GB speeds yet. Google Fiber is starting to come out in select areas, and that isnt even at GB yet.

While many things can change in the time frame they are talking, I still dont see how cell phones are going to bypass home speeds like that. My 4GLTE is reaching the same speeds as my home internet now.

I really dont see 5G reaching the masses by 2020 when it isnt even at those speeds at home. It is hard enough for Cell companies to support 4G LTE right now. In a couple more years we should see it widely available but if 5G does come out, the companies will be slow to adopt it. It will require more hardware and towers, which will jack up rate plans and force users to have limited options on their choices.

Who knows what time will tell. But I honestly dont think mobile data will reach that wide spread speeds until it is widely available for home users all over the world.

I eat through 3GB every month conserving my data on LTE... I can only imagine what a 1gbps connection would do :tongue:

Google Fiber is actually closer to 1Gb than anything else besides local ethernet. Speed tests are showing in the 900s up and down, which is where my original point came in. We don't even see local wireless speeds half duplex 1Gb yet, let alone full duplex 1Gb. I don't possibly see how 5G can attain full duplex 1Gb wirelessly over such a large span coverage area with multiple users sustaining the speed. So I'm in agreement, but look at what has happened to internet speeds and PC technology in the past 6 years. Never know what can happen in another 6.5+ years.

Back
Top Bottom