Intel to buy McAfee in $7.68 billion deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Intel to buy McAfee in $7.68 billion deal - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK – Chip maker Intel says it has agreed to buy computer-security software maker McAfee Inc. for $7.68 billion, or $48 per share.

The per-share price represents a 60 percent premium over McAfee's Wednesday close of $29.93. Shares surged 58 percent after the deal was announced Thursday to hit $47.42.

Intel Corp., which is based in Santa Clara, Calif., said the deal highlights "that security is now a fundamental component of online computing."

Both boards of directors have unanimously approved the deal. The deal still requires McAfee shareholder approval and regulatory clearances.

McAfee is also based in Santa Clara.

I'm not sure if I am surprised or not.

But why?!? Why would they buy one of the WORST AV companies out there? I would rather see they partner up with Eset over McAfee. Ewww. I might just be sticking with AMD from now on. XD

But why?!? Why would they buy one of the WORST AV companies out there? I would rather see they partner up with Eset over McAfee. Ewww. I might just be sticking with AMD from now on. XD

You said that in a way asif Eset are not much better ? I thought they were the best ?.

But yeh what a fail they go for McAffee just because its the one everyone has heard of. And $7Bn, wow. If i was them i wouldn't pay 1/10th of that.

I see this as pointless. Intel is a hardware company, they are now selling AV software too, and not even good AV software? Why? We have McAfee here and it is completely lame.

Well just think Intel may actually be able to get that software to actually play nice with system resources.

Yeah Intel bought the name, not the quality of software it provides. Kinda surprised me that they would enter that market with such strong competition from Symantec, etc. They probably want to diversify like AMD did with their purchase of ATI

You said that in a way asif Eset are not much better ? I thought they were the best ?.

But yeh what a fail they go for McAffee just because its the one everyone has heard of. And $7Bn, wow. If i was them i wouldn't pay 1/10th of that.
Eset is up there. It is rated among the best. I didnt get my point across to well with the statements.
l9iblush.gif
oops7yt.gif

I see this as pointless. Intel is a hardware company, they are now selling AV software too, and not even good AV software? Why? We have McAfee here and it is completely lame.

99 percent of the population do not know this. Just about any anti virus can be made to look good on an advert "Daily virus database updates, 24/7 protection, real time system scanning" they are all true and they all sound good to the average consumer. And McAfee is a known name, so people will buy it. I don't think Intel cares whether its good or not.

NoNameNY said:
Well just think Intel may actually be able to get that software to actually play nice with system resources.
Knowing Intel it will only be optimized for Intel processors. All others will have to run through additional sub-routines thereby crippling their performance. At least that's how they've done everything else so far. ;)

Knowing Intel it will only be optimized for Intel processors. All others will have to run through additional sub-routines thereby crippling their performance. At least that's how they've done everything else so far. ;)

On the bright side if they did that McAfee might only run like crap on ~20% of systems instead of running like crap on 100% of systems. Not like I would use it even if it was fast though.

Sadly there's a lot of truth to that. But Intel just promised to play nice with AMD--they wouldn't lie would they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom