E-Bay

spacecadet11

In Runtime
Hello. I have never bought anything online before.

It has always been physically at a store somewhere.

How do people research the legit nature of these places?

Also, if using PayPal...does the "program" ask you to 'give' permission before
releasing any funds?

Or...if I buy something..and I press certain links....bang...I just lost my money?

Thx.
G

Last edited:
If you are going to be delving in to the world of online shopping for the first time I recommend Amazon. I know your profile says you are from Canada and I'm unsure if you have the facility's over their to be able to online shop at Amazon but you see the thing with eBay in my opinion is the sellers. I have bought several things off eBay, I have never been ripped of but if a seller does not get back to you you can wait days for even a response.

As far as I'm aware Amazon is a collection of real world sellers and I know with Amazon when I have bought several things they being the sellers have had physical shops unlike eBay where its people like me and you.

I'm going to take an educated guess and say when you make your online payment the money will be debited pretty much straight away from your account or at least thats how it is with me in the U.K ..

Hello. I have never bought anything online before.

It has always been physically at a store somewhere.

How do people research the legit nature of these places?

Also, if using PayPal...does the "program" ask you to 'give' permission before
releasing any funds?

Or...if I buy something..and I press certainly links....bang...I just lost my money?

Thx.
G

If you're going to be diving into eBay - compare prices to other sites. Somebody might try to sell a used item for brand-new prices.

Watch the price + shipping. An item's price might be listed very low, and then they will list shipping much higher.

Also pay attention to where the item is shipping from. eBay is international - so you might not want to wait a month or two for something to ship from China to your house.

Read the title of the listing. Read the description of the listing. Read the Condition of the description. Then go look at th epictures. Then read the title/description again. Make sure what you're getting matches the pictures/descriptions. Many people have been "scammed" on eBay thinking they're buying what's in the pictures, when the title/description say it's something else. E.g. "Brand new PlayStation 4 box - $200". The picture might be of a PlayStation 4 - but the title and description only mention the box. So I don't think you'd want to buy a cardboard box for $200 ;).

Look at a seller's rating. Few or no feedback, up to you to take the risk. Low scoring feedback, avoid them.

Also one of the bigger things: Bidding vs Buy It Now. Unless a listing is listed as "Buy It Now" - you're placing a Bid (like an auction) on the item. The listing has a time limit on bidding, and if your bid is the last successful bid when the time runs out, you get the item. If somebody outbids you and places a higher offer, you can either counter or just leave it and you won't be charged anything.

As for PayPal and such, it asks you to login to your PayPal account during the transaction to authorize the payment. After you've authorized it, it will go and deduct money from your payment source (credit card, debit card, bank account, etc. - whatever you set up in PayPal).

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware Amazon is a collection of real world sellers and I know with Amazon when I have bought several things they being the sellers have had physical shops unlike eBay where its people like me and you.

Amazon also has a "marketplace" where individuals can sell goods.

Thanks.
I will think about it.

Top-Rated Seller
chenchenqiqi2019 (1564 )
96.9% Positive feedback
Consistently receives highest buyers' ratings
Ships items quickly
Has earned a track record of excellent service

Last edited:
I just ordered a phone off of eBay, like an hour ago. I have used PayPal for many years and the seller only accepted PayPal. I wanted to use a specific credit card so I logged on to PayPal, added the card, set it as the default payment method, bought the phone using PayPal, then logged back into PayPal and set my bank account back as the default. Since I had already done my research the whole process took me maybe five minutes.

Honestly, Spacey, buying online is basically a matter of knowing where you are ordering from. Some ecommerce sites, like Amazon, Newgg, Walmart, and such are completely worry free. eBay is more of a marketplace for sellers so you have to check things out (Amazon, Newegg, and Walmart can also have third party sellers now, just so you know). If you are going to order online then use PayPal or another payment system, or use an actual credit card as it will give you some buyer protections that a debit card will not.

Back
Top Bottom