Cannot seem to turn OFF my computer sharing

kcrasch

Baseband Member
After going into my Network and Sharing Center and turning all sharing settings to OFF I can still go onto another computer on my network and not only see the computer but I can log into it and view files/photos/etc etc. How can I turn off the ability to see my PC and to log onto it?

Also, prior to this revelation I was playing around with "Groups" and realized that for some reason if my Win 8 has a "Group" activated that my Win 7 cannot become a part of that "Group".

I have deactivated the "Group" on both PC's. Still stumped.

Two other questions:

Why, once I've put in the user name and password from another PC, does it not log that PC off? It seems that now I have complete access to my other PC without a username or password.

Also, why do I get a message stating that "Windows cannot setup a Homegroup on this Computer" ??

Attachments

• HomeGroup Error Message.gif
    HomeGroup Error Message.gif
    52 KB · Views: 2
  • File Sharing OFF.gif
    File Sharing OFF.gif
    43.7 KB · Views: 1
Network and Sharing Center > under 'View your active networks' it should list the Network name, and under that it should have a text link that will say "Home", "Work" or "Public" network. Home/work are private, Public is, well public.

But I'm asking about your sharing settings. Did you change the settings for both Private and Public networks?

Yes, and I'm set to Public for now. I still show up. And my other computer still has access to my private folders via NO password or username.

Attachments

• Home and Work Share Settings.gif
    Home and Work Share Settings.gif
    41 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Do you have sharing permissions setup on the folders the other computer has access to?

Yes. Everything is set to nobody. But again, for some reason when I click on anything home group related I get the message that I can't set up a home group.

Attachments

• File Share with Nobody.gif
    File Share with Nobody.gif
    36.3 KB · Views: 1
Yes. Everything is set to nobody. But again, for some reason when I click on anything home group related I get the message that I can't set up a home group.

Those are just your libraries. What about the actual folder's sharing options?

What folders can you see from other systems that are on that system?

All of it is on Nobody. I even manually went to each one and clicked nobody and then clicked the option to Stop Sharing. Still nothing.

In Folder Options there is a option that states: Use sharing Wizard (Recommended)
I have it checked. And unchecked it. Nothing.

I feel as though for whatever reason I am being denied access to create a Homegroup is tied to this. But I have no clue.

Back
Top Bottom