Cannot connect to DNS or Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakaggo

Idealist Gamer
Alright so first off. I had a virus. Deleted it. Used a few different programs including "Rkill", CCleaner and Malwarebytes. The internet was actually working fine while I had the virus (Internet Security 2010 I think). Once I finished deleting the virus it stopped working.

Symptoms:

Wireless internet is working perfectly, I'm typing right now on my brother's computer.

Can't connect to the router.

Doesn't seem to connect to the DNS server.

Things I've checked:

I called Verizon, the internet connection is working fine on their end. As far as they're concerned it's connected. The router also seems to be fine.

I tried using an old registry file, didn't help.

For some reason system restore isn't working. It just says cannot restore to this date for every date.

I checked all of the internet settings in network connections. I can't see anything wrong. I tried static and dynamic IP addresses but neither can connect to the DNS.

Of course I've also run a few virus scans to double-check for more viruses.

I ran WinDoc, which did not fix the problem.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be extremely grateful. This is really annoying and I feel like it has to be something I overlooked or something horribly wrong somewhere deep inside the computer.

Oh also I run Windows XP. Verizon FIOS internet, with an ActionTec wireless router. The computer is connected by ethernet cable. Let me know if any more info is needed.

Have you tried to connect your computer directly to the model so as to rule out the router?

It also sounds like the malware may have taken out some Windows files. Since you are running XP, you can do a repair install to fix that.

Malwarebytes should have done the trick. You may want to go through Osiris' guide:

it may be slightly underkill, but might work. have you tried disabling/enabling your NIC? again underkill and I'm sure you have, but are your NIC drivers up-to-date? just some small suggestions. as you are running XP, you can find and run a program called Norton WinDoc... it's amazing for fixing problems with XP. Have you run CCleaner's registry scanner?

Well first. There is no modem. It's Fiber Optic.

I did try disabling/enabling the NIC. The drivers are up to date.

I ran CCleaner and the newest version of Malwarebytes.

I'll look into Windoc and doing a repair install. Can I get any details on how to do those? I've never had to do something like that.

Update: I downloaded Windoc and the other norton stuff that comes with it and ran it and although it said it fixed a lot of stuff I haven't noticed much of a difference and more importantly the internet still isn't working.

Will a repair install damage, remove or change anything noticable? I read something on it and there were all sorts of warnings. Are those just being overly cautious? Also I can't find my Windows XP disc. Do I need it or can I do it another way?

Yes, you need a Win XP disk of the same type (Home or Pro, OEM or retail). If you do a repair install it will not affect anything other than Windows itself. Here's a link to step by step instructions (with screenshots):
Repair Windows XP - How to Perform a Repair Installation of Windows XP - Part 1 of 2

Thanks. I found the disc under a bunch of stuff. I'll try it and let you know how it goes.

Also typing on the Wii ftw.

Update: The repair install didn't work. Now what. I can't afford to take this to a professional and I really need the internet by next week.

I don't think it did any serious damage. It uninstalled the windows xp theme for some reason but that seems to be it.

Can anyone think of anything else? It's really urgent I get this fixed.

Semi-stupid question... Have you tried using different browsers?

Outside of that, I dunno.

Semi-stupid question... Have you tried using different browsers?

Outside of that, I dunno.

lol x_X. Yes I tried that. Nice try though.

So I gathered some data, maybe that'll help, I added them as attachments. One is from the connection status, another is ipconfig and the third is from the network adapter software. Not in that particular order.

Attachments

• NetworkAdapterinfo.txt
    146 bytes · Views: 47
  • Connection info.txt
    215 bytes · Views: 42
  • Ipinfo.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 52
Open a command prompt (there is a space between "ipconfig" and "/" in both commands):
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Try setting your DNS servers to this:

Open a command prompt (there is a space between "ipconfig" and "/" in both commands):
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Try setting your DNS servers to this:

Tried it. No change.

Any other ideas? I feel like we tried everything. I really can't afford a professional...

Update: I uninstalled the driver for the network adapter and installed the latest drivers. Didn't work. So it's not the registry, the adapter, the router or the internet company. I don't think it's the settings and I'm pretty sure it isn't from the system files. WTF is it. Oh also I don't have any viruses I scanned with 3 programs with the latest updates for each. This is insane, could a professional help even if I could afford it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom