Has DRM really started to loose the plot

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
So I purchase Far Cry 3 : Blood Dragon via steam. However in order to play it I need to log on uPlay which will then require Steam to run FC3:Blood Dragon. Are we beginning to loose the plot here with DRM?

First off, its lose the plot. Slay, it means to become crazy. I don't think Harper understands the idiom fully.

Ubisoft has always been really crazy with DRM. They use Uplay to manage their PC games for DRM. Nothing new here. I don't agree with it, and I rarely buy Ubisoft on the PC because I don't want to deal with Uplay. The best way to show a publisher you're not liking their DRM is buy not buying their products.

First off, its lose the plot. Slay, it means to become crazy. I don't think Harper understands the idiom fully.

Ubisoft has always been really crazy with DRM. They use Uplay to manage their PC games for DRM. Nothing new here. I don't agree with it, and I rarely buy Ubisoft on the PC because I don't want to deal with Uplay. The best way to show a publisher you're not liking their DRM is buy not buying their products.

You should see the Assassin's Creed 4 main menu. It looks like a pirate themed Xbox dashboard with a large block at the top for single player, another below it for multiplayer, then like 6-8 more small blocks all over the right side of the screen saying things like, "Purchase the Valor Pack now!" "Purcahse MP Skins now!" "Purchase the new weapons pack now!"

And my personal favorite...

"Purchase the time saver pack today!"

Yes, a time saver pack, which basically plays the game for you by unlocking things that you can craft, purcahse with in-game currency, maps, loot, etc.

You should see the Assassin's Creed 4 main menu. It looks like a pirate themed Xbox dashboard with a large block at the top for single player, another below it for multiplayer, then like 6-8 more small blocks all over the right side of the screen saying things like, "Purchase the Valor Pack now!" "Purcahse MP Skins now!" "Purchase the new weapons pack now!"

And my personal favorite...

"Purchase the time saver pack today!"

Yes, a time saver pack, which basically plays the game for you by unlocking things that you can craft, purcahse with in-game currency, maps, loot, etc.

What does any of this have to do with DRM?

Yeah sorry Edge.

Um, I think Uplay is different on consoles than PC then. I guess Uplay just does a bit of everything. On the PC Uplay is a separate program that installs during installation of a game and it has to run before you start your game and then you start the game inside Uplay. So you go to Steam press play on a Ubisoft game. Uplay opens and spams the **** out of you and then you have to click Start to actually play the game.

I have a legit copy of all AC games and use the pirated versions because I refuse to install Uplay. So stupid. I'm already forced to use the junk that is Origin for Battlefield.

Yeah sorry Edge.

Um, I think Uplay is different on consoles than PC then. I guess Uplay just does a bit of everything. On the PC Uplay is a separate program that installs during installation of a game and it has to run before you start your game and then you start the game inside Uplay. So you go to Steam press play on a Ubisoft game. Uplay opens and spams the **** out of you and then you have to click Start to actually play the game.

Uplay on consoles simply consists of DLC and activating online passes.

Back
Top Bottom