XP Support until 2019

The only reason you really need to upgrade from XP is for Internet security. If the pc's in use have no connection to the WWW then there's no reason for need of security updates

I have had a few production machines that were controlled by a computer running Windows NT 4.0, and the machine (which costs over $120,000) could not be controlled by newer software because... well... the company that made the SOFTWARE part for it, no longer exists. The hardware is still maintained, but the machine is obsolete (20 years old), but would cost almost $200k to replace in today's dollars.

Since the maintained production machine (cutting metal plates into pre-designed pieces) will be just fine for another 20 years (it just needs grease to operate, and a computer with a COM port and Windows NT 4.0), we have an old machine on both machines (we had 2 of them) running Windows NT 4.0. When I left the company, they were Pentium III computers with 512 MB of RAM.

The LAN ports those computers are connected to, where configured to be in their own VLAN, with a firewall allowing them to have access to ONE folder on a network server only, no internet access at all. That one folder was needed so the engineers could place the designs. (the file structure for the designs is still used to this day, so the new software used by engineers designing the stuff on their big fancy 30" screen flat panel quad core beasts, could still be used by the machine running the Windows NT 4.0 software.)

This all said.... if you do have software that can't be upgraded, there are ways around it, as long as you take the proper security precautions.

I would, however, NOT recommend this procedure for regular, internet accessible machines used for every day computing.
Basically exactly what we were talking about up there. Except the machines that I have been working on are way more than a couple 6 figure checks.

I read somewhere that it tricks the XP OS into thinking its windows 2003, which is the same kernal as XP, so it takes the windows 2003 updates and applies them to XP.
correct me if I'm wrong
It states specifically it tricks into thinking it's XP Embedded which has support until 2019.

Back
Top Bottom