xp pro 64-bit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GENX34

Solid State Member
hello
im building a new system but i need to use xp pro for my programs and other things
my question is : will xp pro 64bit version use all the cores in a tri-core or quad-core setup or will it see only 2 cores like the 32 bit version?

ohh!! also, will xp pro 64 bit see more ram or is it still limited to 3.5 gigs

thanks
Genx34

You should make sure all of your apps and especially your hardware will work in a 64bit environment. Drivers could especially be troublesome, as some vendors don't make XP 64bit drivers, or 64bit drivers at all. 32bit should recognize all 4 cores as well...doesn't matter that its 32bit or 64bit for that.

And no 64bit OS is limited to 3.5GB of RAM; that's only 32bit OS's.

Should also take a look here: http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/difference-between-32-bit-x86-64-bit-x64-171390/#post1349279

thanks for info
any motherboards to stay away from? i kind of like Asus and Gigabyte myself

hey carnageX

would you advise xp pro 64-bit or vista 64-bit for simple business programs and some video programs (quickbooks,ms office,vlc player, nero9,cccp codec pack) and firefox
these are some of the programs i use and can update to 64-bit version

i appreciate any input.

Genx34

Vista X64 as XP X64 is a god awful OS for drivers and program support.

i kind of figured it out but was not sure if it was true
if you buy new programs today, they should work fine with 64 bit systems right?
im a noob at some of these things :umm:

thanks saxon

Well it's down to the vendor to code the application to work on a X64 OS, but I have had far less problems with compatibility with Vista than I did XP. I can still get my older games to run like Fallout (1997) flawlessly from a original disk with compatibility mode in vista but on XP X64 I only just got it running but it crashed at random an acted very wierd when I tried to run it.

Agreed, Vista 64 is an improvement over XP 64. There are some people that have done their research however, and tweaked XP 64, and have it running fine for what they do (Apokalypse is an example of this).

I am not saying XP X64 isn't capable I am just saying it isn't as easy or compatible out the box as vista X64.

Neither am I implying that. I fully agree Vista 64 is more compatible out of the box.

Sorry Carnage I wasn't having a pop at you I was just pointing out that out the box it's better, some people can get XP X64 to do what they want more power to them I would rather have vista over XP.

**** I don't even maintain a XP system any more other than a VM, for experimentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom