XP install error on new build

regeisle

In Runtime
Upgrading my dad's system with new hardware and windows 8 - he was on XP. New hardware is ASRock B75M-DGS board, i3 3220 proc, 2 x 2gb kingston 1600 ram. No video card since i'm just using the ivy bridge graphics on dvi. I'm trying to clean install XP pro from original disc and then grab the $39 promo windows 8 once that's running.

Here's the problem... I boot from disc and windows setup starts. Right when it says "starting windows setup", after it copies over all the base drivers, and right before the drive select/partition step, it throws a blue screen with a pci.sys error.

Any guess what's going on? Maybe a compatibility issue between a very old XP Pro (no service pack) and the brand new hardware? I've tried it on two HDs and same result. Tried pulling each stick of ram to boot up with a single stick and same result.

On the same topic, if there's a way (i haven't read about one) to CLEAN install Windows 8 from the $39 promo version without running an existing OS first, please let me know. That would save the headache and some steps.

Any input would be appreciated!

Rich

Back
Top Bottom