XBox 360 and Netflix

AudibleDelusion

Beta member
Hey guys, got a couple quick questions here.

December 1st, XBox Live just up and died on me.

When I was trying to figure out the problem it asked for the whole 'security proofs' deal so I punch in my info and still nothing.. I could still could see friends online, but no access to any other online features.. Sort of a problem when you want to spend the night binging on Netflix hahaha.

Anyways, worked a little google magic and I found out apparently it was some sort of hacking group that messed with Live, which actually brought me a little comfort in that at least I knew it wasn't the machine itself that was busted.

I wasn't about to let that stop me though so I called the XBox a POS, unplugged the hdmi cable from the XBox and plugged it into my Laptop and carried on watching Netflix all night.. Which is when another issue I've been having came back into light.

Whenever I'd go to watch a show on XBox Netflix, it will load the first episode of whatever I'm watching in a flash, but come the next episode it will load to 25% - and stop there for a good 6-8 minutes until the show finally loads and starts playing again. This pattern will continue for as long as we're watching Netflix.
I found that if I shut the XBox off, back on and bring up a show, it starts up nice and quick, but any consecutive episodes and I'll get the same problem with the stop at 25% and long wait in between episodes.

This problem has persisted for months and months on end, with ONE instance where I think I got 2 or 3 episodes to play back to back with no slow load times.

I did a little research and found out that Netflix had been having issues with another company about streaming data, or something along those lines, and THAT is where the issue of slow load times was stemming from. However, when I booted up Netflix on my Laptop I didn't have a single issue. At most maybe 2-3 seconds load time between episodes.

I really don't think its the XBox itself that's busted, I mean I can run YouTube without a hitch, play any and all of my games with no problems, no lag while playing online.. It's just Netflix.. Drives everyone who comes over absolutely nuts hahaha.

So the question I have is: Anyone else out there having the same issue as I've been having?
Any successful fixes or workarounds aside from shutting down after each and every episode?

Yes I have the same issue and it's why I bought a Chromecast. Legit 100% reason besides wanting my GF to use the TV rather than my laptop. It's been like that for quite a while now for me and I said screw it. I packed my 360 up and it sits in storage once again.

Hahahaha, too funny..
I was gonna mention in my post that I wanna get back to my gaming, but I can't imagine my girlfriend being too impressed with watching me game for hours on end while she passes the time with candy crush, lmao.
Netflix is cool and all, but I just recently got 'Kerbal Space Program' and it's been my vice ever since hahaha.

As for the Chromecast, my girlfriends Dad actually just got one and says he loves it.
Considering I'm getting into PC gaming more and the fact we use Live primarily for Netflix (really don't do too much online gaming), why not save that $7-$8 bucks a month for live anyways?

Really odd that it's just affecting XBox though..
Maybe the Cable and Internet company caught on to the fact that I dumped Cable because of Netflix, so bog down that experience to bring me back? Lol

You don't need Gold to watch Netflix anymore.

TWC, Verizon, and I believe Comcast are known to throttle Netflix but it has nothing to do with that. I can stream Netflix on as many devices as I want without bogging down my connection but the Xbox will still freeze and needs to be rebooted after an episode. On mine sometimes it won't even load the main screen without locking. I have TWC internet but never had cable TV.

As far as I know, we've only got Telus and Shaw for Internet/Cable providers up here (Whether or not they are a subsidiary of the above mentioned carriers, I'm not sure). Rogers might be in the mix somewhere but locally all I see are Shaw and Telus.

For whatever reason I can't seem to get Netflix working without gold? However I did manage to work out the lagging issue a little while back now, been too busy lately to post about it though.

I just went and un-installed all things Netflix related through the programs tab, reinstalled and BAM, lag free Netflix again!

Such a simple fix, yet it totally eluded me for months.. DX

I don't have Gold and probably never will again. It works without Gold for sure. I don't think it's restricted to US only either.

If I still had my Xbox out I'd try that. Chromecast is just so much easier and quicker.

Alrighty, I'll have to tinker around a bit more and figure that out.
Live has really been garbage lately (disconnecting almost every other day for me) be it through that hacking group or random services crashing (totally unrelated to Netflix, yet Live disconnects anyways).

Definitely still gonna look into acquiring Chromecast though, cut out the middle man, hahaha.

Thanks for the help by the way!

Back
Top Bottom